Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Diana asks:How much are you currently saving towards retirement, as a percentage of gross?

DW and I save 10% of gross in our 401k's, to which our employers add about 4.2%. Then we save an additional 25% of gross in a taxable investment account. Every January (in fact, maybe I should do this today!) I move $6,000 total into our two Roth IRA's out of our taxable account.

Our goal for 2003 was to save 35% of gross, not including company match. Our actual savings was 36.5%, as of 12/15. I can live with that... ;)

I will be starting business school next August (I find out where I am going on January 21st!), so I doubt we will keep our current pace for the two years I am not working. I guess we will have to save double-time when I get out and start making the big bucks... :p

st
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement