UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Diana's Coolest Payday Update EVER Date: 7/31/2005 11:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 177
Today is officially one of the Best Days Ever.

Here are the numbers. I think you all will like them. I know I sure do.

Card 5/1/02 Balance 7/31/2005 Balance
Discover 1337 0
MBNA 7875 0
Citi 7736 0(4.9 for life)
Bank Loan 8535 0
Chase 0 0
----------------------------------------------------------------
Total $25483 $ 0 $25483 gone!

For over 7 years I have been under the albatross of credit card debt. Until May of 2002, the albatross was up and down - sometimes larger, sometimes smaller, depending on whether I was out of work or in the middle of a move or whatever.

Today (well, actually the day all my payments post), is the day the albatross is gone. The credit card monkey is off my back. I wrote a check out of my emergency fund to pay off the rest of it today. I have been toying with this idea since the beginning of the year, and decided to do it now because I could pay the debt off and still have over $500 in the efund.

And that isn't the only financial progress I've made in these past three years and three months...my retirement accounts and net worth have made huge gains as well.

Card 5/1/02 7/31/2005
401k Cont Rate 6% 19%
401k Balance 1710.08 $37,514.40
Net Worth (-$9386.92) $45,016.99

Never in a MILLION years could I have done this without TMF. Never. I am a pretty disciplined person when it comes to doing what needs to be done, but if I hadn't found TMF I don't think I would have known that I needed to do these things in order to create a sound financial future for myself, and I certainly wouldn't have known how to do it or had daily reinforcement and encouragement.

Now, I get to look towards the future. I know some people have the problem after paying credit card debt off where they aren't sure what to do with themselves, since they've been so focused on the debt that they couldn't think much about what comes next. Having spent about seven years paying of debt, I can't say I have that problem. Here's a little bit of what's next for me.

a) When I get my raise in September, I will once again put it in my 401k. It is very likely that this year is the year which will put me at the 401k federal match, unless I did my math wrong or get a crappy raise.
b) Since I drained my efund to pay off the last of this debt, I am of course going to be saving most of my extra dough towards my efund. The efund stands at $591.30 at the moment. I would like to get that between 12K and 15K, which will be the 6 months of expenses range.
c) Another goal I have is to save up a wad of cash for my next car. This goal is pretty important to me, because my car is now 7 years old and while it has a few good years left in it (I hope), it won't last forever.

I plan to work on both the efund and the car simultaneously, but I'm not sure exaclty what priority/emphasis I am going to put on each yet. That's just something else fun for me to figure out as I go along. :o)

Thanks to everyone.

d
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement