No. of Recommendations: 0

<<Wanted to make sure I understand . . . Foolish Prof writes, "have your salary reduction payments go directly to Vanguard". Can I do that? >>

Yes, you can do that. Any fund that accepts 403b(7) accounts is eligible to receive the money you deposit into your plan and you may move your funds to such an account if you desire. Vanguard can help you though the process. You may not be able to direct future plan deposits to that account (some employers won't do that), but you can still periodically transfer those deposits to it.

<<It was my understanding that I had to jump through the VALIC hoops first! Also, the literature for the Fidelity plan has 403b(7) on the form. Does that mean that it is already a 403b(7) and therefore could not be converted to one in which I had more fund choices? >>

You might, but you can still transfer the money to another 403b(7) account as outlined above. Any time 403b money is deposited into a mutual fund its technically called a 403b(7). You can transfer money between them, though.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.