Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
To this weeks stories about how parents rather mess up talking to children in regards to sex, daily doings, & life in general?

This was soooooo totally spot on. As a person who treats a number of teen types, I concur, most parents have not a clue & seem to mis-remember what it was like being in that position.

I'm never amazed at parents lack of groove.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
i haven't listened to the most recent episode (usually a Friday activity)
I am currently, actively having those talks with both my kids, I am now quite curious to see how I stack up.
Although I am somewhat reassured that my teen comes to me and tells me still at least some of what happens at parties (who brought liquor, if he drank, who brought pot, etc...)

what is it you do again joseph with numbers?

peace & the groove
t
No. of Recommendations: 0
what is it you do again joseph with numbers?
-----------

Yes I do play with numbers quite often. How did you know that?

But I also spend a fair amount of time in treatment with similar family stories as was on the radio show.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I haven't caught it yet...still working my way through the "it's never over" episode...which strikes many chords with me due to some inherent muddle of Catholic guilt, depression and other dysfunctions going through my brain. I'm working on one story in my mind to link back to that one...trying to find a few minutes to get it all together.
To this weeks stories about how parents rather mess up talking to children in regards to sex, daily doings, & life in general?

I listened.
I learned.

I forwarded the link to sexetc.ORG to my son and to a couple other people who could use that for their kids.

I think that I am doing OK in general.
I treat kids as real people and have a decent rapport with my teen.
(I still have his email, myspace & facebook passwords)
Not that I have no room to improve, but other people have told me that their children bring up conversations ("oh, remember when I was talking to t about...") from months ago - because I do try to engage them.

I wonder how different I would be with daughters?

peace & talk
t
I wonder how different I would be with daughters?

peace & talk
t
-----------------

All anecdotal friends reports as well as many research papers point to a similar thing.

Mothers & daughters (can) = difficulties.
Mothers & daughters (can) = difficulties.

I had a horrible teen relationship with my mother.
(My sisters told her everything)
I was belligerent and sullen and noncommunicative and...ugh, I was terrified to even think of having a daughter like me.

But as an adult, I have a better realtionship with my mother than both sisters put together.

My older sister, Her oldest is a girl and that makes them 4th in the chain of oldest daughters of oldest daughters...there is a dynamic at work there I don't even want to consider.

my younger sister has 2 girls, but she has been a junior high health & PE teacher for years, so I think she will be matter of fact about those things...

peace & boys
t
Advertisement