UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881742  
Subject: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 10/26/2012 12:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
I've been wanting to replace my Honda Civic for years now, but never did it. First we replaced my husband's truck with and Xterra right before our son arrived on the scene. Then when that was paid off we started saving for a new vehicle, but we didn't have enough to buy it outright. My Civic ran great, I kept on top of maintenance and while I had things I didn't like about it, I couldn't convince myself a new car was a "want" and not a "need".

My husband finally got on my case and told me we had a great downpayment saved ($8,000), that we could definitely afford the payments, and the things that annoyed me about my Civic was only going to get worse, and with an hour commute each way, I deserved a comfy vehicle. The clear coat was also starting to go, so it would be harder to sell/trade-in.

Those "negative things:
1. On bad winter days in Colorado having front wheel drive, no back wiper blade, and normal side mirrors, etc can be less than fun. I've had instances where my car has gotten stuck and lost traction on inclines (and we live at the bottom of a hill). I've also had to pull over on the highway a few times in bad snow storms to clear off my side mirrors, windows, and wiper blades.
2. Road noise was really bad and the stereo system was completely shot (bad speakers).
3. I had no way of hauling both our son and our German Shepher/Rottweiler mix.
4. My husband hated driving it and didn't really like being a passenger either. (He's a good foot taller than me.) That means we took the Xterra everywhere and not the vehicle with the best gas mileage.

So now I'm the proud owner of a 2013 Subaru Outback (Premium with the Weather Package). So I have all wheel drive, heated seats, heated side mirrors, de-icers on the wiper blades, and all weather mats. It's also much quieter, roomier, has a great sound system with steering wheel controls. I also have it paired to my iPhone for hands free talking and can also play my music over the Bluetooth. The back is plenty of space for our dog. My husband can drive it comfortably (the driver seat has electronic controls including raising and lowering the seat). I'm losing a little bit on gas mileage, but not much. My husband looked at my keys and went "yes a remote unlock on the trunk! I don't have to wait for you to catch up so I can load the car".

The buying experience was great. I did it all by email. I had the financing approved, the car selected, the price fixed, and a range to expect on my trade-in (answered a bunch of questions and gave my VIN so they could pull the carfax) before I even visited. I walked in and they were very friendly, no attempts to put an add ons on the invoice, didn't try to change my mind about extended warranties (I told them in advance i wasn't interested so they had a waiver ready), let me take a test drive solo, and found out my 1.9% wasn't restricted to 36 months, I could go to 60. They were just so nice and upfront there. I found it funny they don't put any dealership markings on your vehicle other than a license plate frame. The reasoning? "We don't want to damage your paint." They did give me a very pretty little keychain with their info engraved on the back.

So the plan is to pay it off as fast as possible, but we took the longer term as a "just in case". I emailed Costco to tell them what I didn't like about their program (not letting me pick the vendor and sending me to someone that I think wasn't abiding by the rules of the program). I did get Costco pricing at the new dealership, but that was only $30 different from the internet pricing I already had gotten from the dealer. It would have been better if Costco had sent me a list of all the Subaru vendors within 100 miles of me and let me pick who to go visit instead of sending my contact info to the one closest one that I refused to use.

It was great that I got up this morning, cleared the snow off my new car, got that seat warmer going, and climbed in.

Lara Amber
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868443 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 10/26/2012 12:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
So now I'm the proud owner of a 2013 Subaru Outback (Premium with the Weather Package). So I have all wheel drive, heated seats, heated side mirrors, de-icers on the wiper blades, and all weather mats.

Enjoy! Before we moved to NJ in 2000, we traded in my 1990 Taurus for a 2000 Outback Limited with all those bells and whistles. It was a really reliable car and ChiliSpouse felt more confident of my safety driving in snow. I did, too. Very comfortable ride, easy handling, and virtually no repair bills. And great for hauling various and sundry things from loads of mulch to large dogs and lumber. Traded it in in 2010 and still miss it. Don't need the cold-weather options now, though.

Honda Fit gets good mileage and cost less than the Subaru did 10 years earlier, but that's about all I can say about it. CS's new (used) 2012 F250 diesel super duty regular-cab truck with no options on it that he uses for towing his track car is more comfortable on the road.

Chili

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868449 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 10/26/2012 6:29 PM
Recommendations: 3
Congratulations, from one Subaru owner to another!

I traded in my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, because we'd moved to the top of a hill and it was FWD. I took delivery on my Subaru Impreza in April, w/ all the bells and whistles on it. It cost less than $12k, after the trade-in.

We vacationed in Estes Park in August and noted all the Subarus on the road. It should be the official state car of Colorado!

PM

Trivia note: Subaru is Japanese for the Pleiades star cluster.

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868456 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 10/27/2012 11:01 AM
My office mate just bought one and he can't stop raving about how wonderful it is.

I've always been a pretty loyal Honda buyer but I might stop in and take a look at Subaru next time.

My accord is only 7 years old, but I also have two teens about to get licenses, so I keep debating...buy a POS car for them, or wait and give them my car and get something newer for myself?

Hmmm....

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868467 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 10/27/2012 10:06 PM
My coworkers husband has bought two outbacks, I think. They love them.

Congratulations on the new car!

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868473 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 10/28/2012 3:31 PM
I also have two teens about to get licenses, so I keep debating...buy a POS car for them, or wait and give them my car and get something newer for myself?

SG i dont remember where you are, but in New England the $2000 - $2500 Subaru is my car-of-choice.

To you this may be in the POS range, but my 1998 forester has heated seats & runs like an absolute top (with 250k miles on it)
GoMC's 1997 Outback just had the exhaust replaced, but otherwise runs great
the boy's 1994 Legacy wagon is great ...

peace & really reliable vehicles
t

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868482 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 10/29/2012 8:34 AM
Congrats on the new wheels. Sounds really nice, especially those seat warmers and the side mirror heaters.

My husband looked at my keys and went "yes a remote unlock on the trunk! I don't have to wait for you to catch up so I can load the car".

That is one thing that I really wished we had on our car. I assume that means that the alarm doesn't set itself while the trunk is open, too, which ours does and it is really annoying.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868528 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 11/1/2012 4:28 PM
Congrats LA!

xtn

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868532 of 881742
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 11/1/2012 10:00 PM
Recommendations: 1
SG,

I highly recommend giving a new driver your old car and getting new/used one for yourself. You know what your old car has been through and what possible repairs it will need.

Buying a cheap POS for them can be very counterproductive, if the seller lied through their teeth, or even if severe problems develop because of age.

I happened to luckily space my two boys by five years between them. (Total happenstance, since #2 son was a surprise<g>.) They have very different personalities.

Fwiw, a Subaru Impreza is an exceedingly safe car. Son #1 lost control of his 2002 Impreza WRX (w/ some "encouragement" from a muscle car driver) at 70+ mph on I-70 in Topeka about 3 years ago. The car was totalled, but he walked away from the accident. (He was very stiff and sore for a couple of days.) The dealer said they've had at least 5 people tell them they wanted another one, just like the old one, because of similar experiences.

Be advised, the first car for a teen will influence future car purchases. #1 son inherited my '94 Infiniti G20 w/ a 5-speed. (It was the Japanese equivalent of a BMW 3-series, but a lot cheaper<g>.) He absolutely loved the manual transmission.

#2 son inherited my used '99 Audi A4 w/ an automatic and Quattro (all-wheel drive). He's currently driving a Jetta w/ an auto-tranny and can deal it. He still pines for the Audi, even though he managed to get water in the engine while chasing tornadoes/thunderstorms.

Spend a little time seeing if the car fits the driver!

PM

PS. MDH considers my Impreza 5-door a very competent utilitarian vehicle.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement