No. of Recommendations: 0
Didn't tell him my concerns that the hedge funds, speculators, and clueless regulators have screwed the markets up so much it may take years to repair itself. I really don't have an answer.

I was wondering along the same lines this morning while cycling away and listening to the talking heads on TV. Japan came to mind. I sure hope Japan isn't an illustration of where all of this might be going. I tend to think that it will take at least a year for the financials to work out the credit problems, with a huge assist from Uncle Sam. The housing market will return, but not quickly that's for sure. A killer would be a signficant increase in either or both taxes and spending. Between politicians and greedy Wall Street types, there's still plenty to worry about. I'm about 32% in fixed, but partly because of declines on the equity side. I never thought I would say this, but as soon as the equitied come back some, I'm moving my fixed assets up to 40%, possilby a shade higher. I've got a good nestegg that should keep us safe and secure for the duration, unless there's a total market meltdown, followed by 20 or 30 years of a flat market. If I can move up to 40% or more in fixed, then we should be set for almost anything. God help us all, or Mickey Mouse if you prefer.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement