Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Die Broke (its a book..) Date: 8/24/2003 11:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Howdy fellow Fools.
My DH started reading Die Broke. I'm looking for comments & discussion on this book, which I know some Fools like and Some Don't.

??

joycets
Print the post Back To Top
Author: John3haha Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 574 of 5068
Subject: Re: Die Broke (its a book..) Date: 8/25/2003 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
As with so many financial topics, my first impulse is to think about what happens if the argument fails. In this case, what if I plan for my money to run out when I am 85 and then live to 100? With advances in medical technology, radical declines in accident rates, and some improvement in healthy life styles I find it extremely difficult to predict life spans. This is a core element to FIRE, how long will I be around spending money?

Regards,

JohnH

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 576 of 5068
Subject: Re: Die Broke (its a book..) Date: 8/25/2003 11:42 AM
Recommendations: 2
My DH started reading Die Broke. I'm looking for comments & discussion on this book, which I know some Fools like and Some Don't.

I have also read Die Broke along with a couple of other books by the same author. As it relates to FIRE, I agree with some of his ideas

- Always treat your job as a temporary one by "quitting in your head".

- Avoid credit, pay cash

and not others:

- IIRC the author was not an ER and still working after age 65. Perhaps that's why he encouraged boomers to never retire.

- Use techniques to insure that you die broke. Not good for the ER who has many decades for which to fund living expenses.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 579 of 5068
Subject: Re: Die Broke (its a book..) Date: 8/27/2003 5:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
- IIRC the author was not an ER and still working after age 65. Perhaps that's why he encouraged boomers to never retire.

This doesn't have much to do with the post, but what does IIRC mean?

Author: Evelynk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 580 of 5068
Subject: Re: Die Broke (its a book..) Date: 8/27/2003 5:53 PM
I think it's 'if I remember correctly.'

Author: Stetson20 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 617 of 5068
Subject: Re: Die Broke (its a book..) Date: 9/2/2003 11:19 AM
Recommendations: 1
It's the companion book to "Live Rich." The guy had some interesting ideas. The "guerilla employee" label comes to mind. Basically, commit to no company, make as much cash as you can, forget working for benefits, and sock the cash away to fund your own retirement/bennie plan. Something to that effect.

The "Die Broke" book is basically the extension of the philosophy. Have your assets fund your retirement, but leave nothing for anyone else. Especially your heirs. Figure a way to transfer the wealth BEFORE you die, so they can enjoy it and you can enjoy their enjoyment.. Something to that effect.

All in all, I thought it was okay. Nothing earth shattering.

Stetson20

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement