UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76392  
Subject: Re: 10 Year plan (attention JAFO31) Date: 5/14/2004 9:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Different risks certainly, not so sure regarding "far less risk". Risk is in the future so we can only speculate. "Office work" as an engineer creates dependencies on others, the benevolence of a corporate employer - my experience has been highly variable. Most engineers I know have re-located more than the average bear and/or travel a ton. All real estate is local, and the buck stops in the mirror.

This really nails the crux of it. Directly held rental RE isn't a passive investment like other vehicles. In reality, it is a business, whether it is a small time thing you do on the side or a full time effort. Some people are born entrepreneurs, others are happy as employees. Some can/will cross the divide. Personally, I have always been an employee, while my dad has always been an entrepreneur, and we both do OK. I'm not really interested in having a small business on the side, so the current state of the RE market doesn't tempt me to invest there (there is money to be made, but you have to work at it). If market conditions were to change, I might be a RE investor, but given my preferences there would have to be some pretty juicy low-hanging fruit. Others are happy running their own RE operations regardless of the state of the RE market. Different strokes.

Just remember that directly held RE is more like a business than a passive investment in most cases.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement