UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yobria Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: 10 Year plan (attention JAFO31) Date: 5/14/2004 10:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Different risks certainly, not so sure regarding "far less risk". Risk is in the future so we can only speculate

I think borrowing a million dollars or so and operating a highly leveraged business will always be more risky than selling you labor. You only have to look at personal vs small business bankruptcy rates to see that.

Certainly, real estate can be an excellent way to make your fortune. My beef was more with John's naive (in my opinion) assumptions regarding everything from appreciation rates to the effort involved. You have to make conservative assumptions when modelling something like this- otherwise you end up with negative cash flow properties.

Quality is a relative term. The "value" of features and benefits are in the eyes of the beholder. Some will value air conditioning more than others. Others will prefer independence more than others.

Ok, that's true. Some people enjoy working outdoors, or with their hands more than office work.

If you are saying that over the next x years, an engineering skillset will trade at a premium to real estate values, maybe so

On a risk adjusted basis, an engineering job should pay more than acquiring cheap houses and renting them, since it requires more education/skill. Given the best possible outcome (high rents, high property appreciation, low interest rates, no vacancies, low maintenance) the real estate investor should wind up with more money. But I think the expected (average) outcome should be lower. More sophisticated real estate investing, like starting a REIT, might pay better.

Nick
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement