UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886530  
Subject: Digital cable blues Date: 3/30/2002 1:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is a rant, so feel free to skip it.

I allowed myself to be talked into upgrading to digital cable, and I am sorry I did.

1. The web site for ordering the upgrade neglected to confirm which day an installer would be sent out. The first confirmation I got was last week when a phone mail message stated that the installer didn't find anyone home. Grrr... Well, it finally got installed this morning.

2. I have been through the instructions on the digital box that got installed here earlier today. Nowhere can I find anything that would cause it to do an automatic channel change. The old analog box would do that so I could record from different channels during the night (actually able to program in 8 channel changes), but nothing on this new box. Grrr...

3. In examing the materials left by the installer, it looks like I should have access to about twice as many channels as I have--the web site neglected to have anything on it for picking the three "bonus choice categories" that came with the level of service I ordered. Grrr...

They told me that they are discontinuing some of the premium channels on the analog channels, which makes going back to the analog box less appealing. 8(

When I purchased this place 3 years ago, they were pretty inept then, too, with them taking a good two or three months of weekly calls to get the services straightened out on both what I was suppose to be receiving and what they were billing for.

If I just cancel cable and stick with the standard cable provided to the condos, and then purchased a DVD player and subscribed to something like netflix, I could probably break even in two months and after that save a good chunk of money, while still getting my movie fix.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: texandesi Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 260369 of 886530
Subject: Re: Digital cable blues Date: 3/30/2002 1:24 AM
Recommendations: 0

If I just cancel cable and stick with the standard cable provided to the condos, and then purchased a DVD player and subscribed to something like netflix, I could probably break even in two months and after that save a good chunk of money, while still getting my movie fix.

What is stopping you?

- TD

Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 260370 of 886530
Subject: Re: Digital cable blues Date: 3/30/2002 1:28 AM
What is stopping you?

Monday for their regular business hours.

Author: lekia2 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 260381 of 886530
Subject: Re: Digital cable blues Date: 3/30/2002 9:18 AM

Sorry, I'm an idiot, but what's netflix?

Curiously,

lekia2

Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 260385 of 886530
Subject: Re: Digital cable blues Date: 3/30/2002 10:16 AM
what's netflix?

Netflix (http://www.netflix.com) is a DVD rental company. For $20/mo, you set up a list of DVDs you wish to view. They send you the first three available DVDs from your list. As you finish with each DVD and send it back (in the prepaid mailer), they send you the next available DVD on your list.

Author: paulfife One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 260416 of 886530
Subject: Re: Digital cable blues Date: 3/30/2002 3:37 PM
I have been through the instructions on the digital box that got installed here earlier today. Nowhere can I find anything that would cause it to do an automatic channel change. The old analog box would do that so I could record from different channels during the night (actually able to program in 8 channel changes), but nothing on this new box. Grrr...

Most digital boxes have the option to control your VCR with an "IR Blaster" attatchment. My cable company brags about it on their website but fails to mention it isn't included. Typically what I want to record is in the analog range (below 100) so I haven't bothered to inquire about it.

In examing the materials left by the installer, it looks like I should have access to about twice as many channels as I have--the web site neglected to have anything on it for picking the three "bonus choice categories" that came with the level of service I ordered. Grrr...

Sounds like they don't have a very good internet ordering, or customer service to follow up and check what bonus option you want. Looks like you get basic cable included with your condo, so satellite probably isn't an option then, is it?

I'd personally go with the DVD option anyways. You get to choose to watch what you want, when you want, with the option of a pause. Plus the quality of a DVD (both picture and sound) is MUCH higher than digital cable.

Author: lekia2 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 260444 of 886530
Subject: Re: Digital cable blues Date: 3/31/2002 11:19 AM
Netflix (http://www.netflix.com) is a DVD rental company. For $20/mo, you set up a list of DVDs you wish to view. They send you the first three available DVDs from your list. As you finish with each DVD and send it back (in the prepaid mailer), they send you the next available DVD on your list.

Sounds like a great service. I'm gonna check it out today.

Thanks.

lekia2

Author: pedorrero Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 260636 of 886530
Subject: Re: Digital cable blues Date: 4/1/2002 3:14 PM
Sorry about your cable woes. Even when cable works right, have you noted how much it Co$t$??? I guess so.

Some other preachy thoughts:

Most people watch something like 4.5 hours of TV per day. Surely there is something more rewarding (mentally, financially, spiritually?) that you can be doing?

Your friend Pedorrero,
Who has budget cable ($14/mo) because TV reception, even from the antique common feed rooftop antenna, sucks the big wazoo, but is passable for FM...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement