Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 681  
Subject: Dilemma Date: 4/17/2002 4:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When my daughter was born, I wasn't married. Her bio-dad was a little freaked/flaky and I was arrogant, so I didn't list him on the birth certificate. At the time, I really believed that I could do everything on my own.

Every year or so, I sent him a picture and an address update, and he'd call and make all sorts of promises, push me to have her doing something (wanted her in martial arts at age 2, for example; my response: are you paying for it?) I guess I always believed that once he got his act together, he'd WANT to be part of her life, and he'd help out. He's a bit immature, but I always thought he was honorable. Apparantly, though, out of sight is out of mind.

Two years ago, I was in a really bad place with the break up of a relationship and left with a rent I couldn't pay and no health insurance. During this time was when he came to visit her for the first and only time in her life. He brought presents. I asked for help; difficult thing for me to do. He hemmed and hawed and eventually said that he'd send $150/mo (which wouldn't even cover the health insurance, but any little bit would help.) Never heard from him again. Tried to call him. His father (he was still living with parents - rent free) would take the messages and get a bit snippy with me. He never returned calls.

I haven't sent him our latest address change (when we moved to Sacramento) and I just got her school pictures. His b-day is in a few days and I thought about sending him a card/letter and picture, maybe a couple of her drawings.

My reason for sending the picture and update is that, in ten years, when he finally grows up and wants contact with her, I don't want him to be able to go to court and say, "she kept the child away from me all this time; I didn't know where they were." I'm not keeping him away, by sending pictures and an address once a year or so; he's keeping himself away.

So, now I've written this letter, explaining how hard it was for me to ask for help, what a great kid he's missing out on, etc.

Is this the right thing, or should I just send the pic and address, without embelishment?

Ishtar
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement