UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Patnbj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5805  
Subject: Re: Now is not a good time... Date: 11/1/2002 10:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
DIMS retorts:
'Scuse me? A little less money? Try about 2/3 less money! Her salary is more than double mine. If I were to lose my job, it would be a dent, but we could "get by". If SHE were to lose her job, then we're talking major financial upheaval.

michaelangela replied:
OK, so there's some more data. But we still haven't scratched the surface of this what-is-the-worst-that-could-happen gambit. I'm not saying that "major financial upheaval" is a walk in the park, but it's still not the end of the world.

Here's what I mean: when my DW gets to fretting** about her latest doomsday scenario, I remind her that we can always sell the house and the cars and move into my parents' basement. But it would take total and prolonged catastrophy for us to need to resort to that.

DIMS, perhaps you just wanted to let off a little steam. If so, feel free to ignore the rest of this post.

FWIW, I agree that worst-case scenario planning is in order. You see in the past I have worked in the IT field on a contract basis. The life of a contractor is wrapped around trying to get that next contract or the current contract extended. Except in times like these when contract work mostly dries up. The people who seem adapt well to the cyclical nature of the work are those people who have a plan "B." Some owned income-generating real estate. Others had contracts "on the side."

If you start planning for the worst-case scenario now, then I'll bet you'll feel a lot more in control if and when the worst comes to pass. Could you downscale your expenses now so even if your spouse lost her job you could still get by? Do you have an interest that you turn into an income generator? I realize that these are probably not easy questions to answer else you probably already would have. But the payoff is peace of mind. And if the worst doesn't happen, perhaps you'll reach MOOTFL faster due to more savings/less expenses.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement