Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: redbaron7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 186  
Subject: Dinosaur Valley Date: 1/9/2003 11:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We're heading down to Dinosaur State Valley State Park nr. Glen Rose, TX on Saturday, in what is becoming an annual event.

MrsRB (biomarcy) teaches an inter-term class on Evolution, and this is usually early January. It is a pretty intensive class, with lectures every day, but she includes a field trip to the above State Park. The course has grown from a handful of people in cars to hiring a coach (which I prefer - I don't like driving Texan distances!).

We usually spend a few hours at the State Park. Last year I gave them a little spiel in the visitor's centre about what it was like in the early Cretaceous. That there are two kinds of dinosaur footprints found,etc.
Take photos by the large reconstructions - from some World Fair I think. Anyway both are wrong. The Brontosaur (Apatosaur) has the wrong head and a very 'lazy' tail. The TRex is very head-up/tail down like Godzilla.
And of course, neither are found in the Glen Rose Formation :-)

Then we wander down the river. What footprints are visible vary from year to year, but there are usually some good ones. The Sauropod ones vary, but there are usually some good therapod ones. You can usually see where the 'talons' (toenails? lol) have sunk into the mud.
Wandering up the hillside, we get some good views over the river, and we usually find some reef deposits.

Pretty laid back as geology trips go of course, although sometimes we have to fight the river. Last time the course was later in the year and the river was in flood - above knee level wading. This Saturday it is meant to be cold.

Near the entrance there's the "Creation Evidence Museum" - yes the one which was on the Daily Show last year! I don't usually go in because I don't like giving money to such people. However, MrsRB takes the students in so they "see both sides". Sometimes the students come out shaking lol! :-)
And last year we had a number of Catholic theology students. Although they didn't have to take the course they thought it was in their interest to as "we're going to be asked about this" etc. Anyway, they had a very dim view of the interpretation of the Bible provided in the museum! :-)

RB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement