Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dukenewkirk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Blue Captain Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9  
Subject: Direct Buy Date: 11/19/2011 9:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
So, a few years back, my wife and I were lured into an outfit called Direct Buy. Now, Direct Buy may or may not exist in a location near you, but I expect there are other outfits similar in the way they operate. Those who are older and already sufficiently jaded by outrageous marketing tactics may look upon businesses like this and immediately recognize them for what they are, however, I imagine there are still some doe eyed potential customers who see offers like these as great 'opportunities'.

It all started with a ‘special offer’. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that one of the most foul words in advertising is ‘special’. Don’t let them hook you with special. They will allow any fool to give them money. There is no requirement for you or the offer to truly be special in any regard.

Direct Buy gets you in the door, shows you a whole whack of wonderful products, and insists you make the decision regarding paying the ‘one time’ membership fee to join the ‘special’ people who’ve done so before you. They are essentially a wholesaler that can provide you with good quality, to be sure, name brand products, at wholesale prices. We’ve bought our bathroom cabinetry through them, as well as the bathtub and even some nice tiles. Certainly there were savings, however, we never saved enough to justify the initial membership fee, not even close.
A lot of the stuff they sell is indeed high end stuff, unlike the cabinetry we felt suitable or in any way practical for our townhome. Their promotions and advertising pitch on the day you take the tour give examples of people saving $30,000 on their kitchen cabinets. As I’ve pointed out before, we’re middle income folks, what kind of cabinets are these people buying that they are “saving” $30,000 on them? Are they laced with gold and diamonds?

Anyways, where you get burned with Direct Buy is the spiel that they give you that explains this is your one chance. They explain that the law dictates they cannot make another offer to you for one year if you walk out that door as a condition of this kind of promotion. Timeshare sales work the same way. Whatever offer comes your way and comes with this condition, stay the heck away!

What isn’t immediately obvious is that you pay for shipping whatever wholesale products you buy through them. If, like us, you could find something comparable at IKEA, Walmart, or Costco your cost through Direct Buy will be greater on anything you buy, once you factor in shipping costs passed on to you. Big retailers can beat the pants off you in this regard.

Ultimately, if you are wealthy, and you would be buying cabinetry made from wood from the magical forests of Andor, perhaps Direct Buy is for you. I’d be interested if this has been anyone’s personal experience. However, for regular middle class folks, this opportunity is a bust. Granted, it’s not nearly as horrible a bust as a Timeshare, however, an unnecessary waste of money all the same, as most wastes of money are if you just take the time to think about it. If they don’t give you time to think about it, there’s a reason.

Duke
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement