UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: Direct tile install? Date: 12/29/2002 9:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well folks we decided to go for the house - we have to finish deciding on options and upgrades.

I think our final question is installation of tile - the floors are concrete with in-floor radiated heating.

We want tile and pergo over the floors - only a small section (kitchen and toilet areas) come tiled - the remaining area is too expensive to have THEM tile, plus the tile we can afford for that area looks really cheap. So we are going to upgrade the few spots that are tiled (to a non-cheap looking tile) and tile the rest ourselves.

The areas we will be tiling ourselves will have carpet over them - we will be able to rip the carpet out and tile.

Now we have done tiling before, but ONLY with a home with a wood subfloor, so we laid the durock prior to tile installation.

Question: if you have a nice, new concrete floor in good, stable condition, do you have to install anything between the floor and the tiles (other than thinset under and grout between tiles)? Are there any special materials that one needs to use when one has in-floor heating?

Thanks!

Jennifer

p.s. pergo isn't a problem with in-floor radiated heating, is it?? (We know hardwood isn't a good thing, which is why we were thinking of pergo )
Print the post Back To Top
Author: goohsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30261 of 128074
Subject: Re: Direct tile install? Date: 12/29/2002 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Tile should work over concrete with a thinset prep, as many offices are vinyl carpet tile over thinset on top of concrete. The question I have is, will they give you any type of credit for not installing the carpet? Once they install the carpet, you'll have to remove and haul it off, which is a pain. If they would give you a credit for leaving the floors "ready to finish" it would be a better thing for your plan.

Pam

Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30269 of 128074
Subject: Re: Direct tile install? Date: 12/30/2002 9:43 AM
Recommendations: 1
Jennifer

p.s. pergo isn't a problem with in-floor radiated heating, is it?? (We know hardwood isn't a good thing, which is why we were thinking of pergo )

You will enjoy the in-floor radiant heat. Just remember to set it AND LEAVE IT ALONE.

In-floor radiant IS ok with hardwood floors. You better check on the pergo...it may get soft when warmed...dunno.

Is your tile ceramic? That's a terrific maintainer of heat. If it's linoleum tile...again, dunno.

Rich

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30316 of 128074
Subject: Re: Direct tile install? Date: 1/1/2003 2:32 PM
The question I have is, will they give you any type of credit for not installing the carpet? Once they install the carpet, you'll have to remove and haul it off, which is a pain.

Yeah, we thought about this and asked, however they will not, NOT install the carpet - they state that it has to do with the bank/mortgage, I think it is just a problem for them and they don't want to do it and they don't want to mess with any potential credits. We even offered to forget about any credit (they brought up that) and just have them not install carpet (would be easier than ripping it out), but they refused.

They did say that we could request minimum tacking of the carpet.

Jennifer

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30317 of 128074
Subject: Re: Direct tile install? Date: 1/1/2003 2:46 PM
You will enjoy the in-floor radiant heat. Just remember to set it AND LEAVE IT ALONE.

I hope I do, I have heard good reports on it, but I dislike the fact that I will no longer have heat-on-demand. I also dislike the fact that I will no longer have air-filtering capabilities and will have to run a separate air cleaner instead of being able to use a furnace as one...

As for leaving it alone, reports I have heard here and from other people seem to be that the system will take a long time to warm up/cool down (2-3 hours is what I have heard), but I still plan on using a programmable thermostat to turn down the heat during long periods of unoccupied time (at work all day, on vacation, etc.) or during the night (depending on timing) - to do otherwise is just a waste of energy.

In-floor radiant IS ok with hardwood floors. You better check on the pergo...it may get soft when warmed...dunno.

When we were exploring in-floor radiant heat with our old house (decided against it then, don't have that option now), we were told by all the contractors that wood flooring does NOT go well with radiant heat - first, it isn't good for the floors, second, it isn't good for the heat! I was thinking maybe pergo might be OK - we want tile everywhere else, but I don't think the tile style/feel goes well with a bedroom setting.

Is your tile ceramic? That's a terrific maintainer of heat.

Yes, all ceramic.

Jennifer

Author: Linne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30332 of 128074
Subject: Re: Direct tile install? Date: 1/2/2003 1:25 AM
Yeah, we thought about this and asked, however they will not, NOT install the carpet - they state that it has to do with the bank/mortgage, I think it is just a problem for them and they don't want to do it and they don't want to mess with any potential credits.

It may have to do with getting an occupancy permit. In our last house, we weren't allowed to move in until there was grass in the yard, because the county wouldn't issue the permit without it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement