UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63022  
Subject: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/9/2013 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
"The 8th grade history book, titled America: Land I love, gives this lesson on hippies:

Many young people turned to drugs and immoral lifestyles; these youth became known as hippies. They went without bathing, wore dirty, ragged, unconventional clothing, and deliberately broke all codes of politeness or manners. Rock music played an important part in the hippie movement and had great influence over the hippies. Many of the rock musicians they followed belonged to Eastern religious cults or practiced Satan worship.

Of course, the devil’s influence extends beyond America’s “immoral” youth. Reads another textbook: “It is no wonder that Satan hates the family and has hurled his venom against it in the form of Communism.”

http://www.alternet.org/education/hippies-demonized-louisian...

Laugh or cry???
To some people, the very existence of an alternative lifestyle is an affront, even an assault. So they lie about The Other, even about the past. And teach this drivel to kids. sigh.

=alstro, ex-hippie (never dirty or ragged, seldom impolite, unfamiliar with Satan...I think)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48300 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/9/2013 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
That is a hoot! I seem to recall that I have always enjoyed showers. In fact water in pretty much every way, shape, or form. Swimming, diving, baths, and showers!

I have enjoyed learning about Eastern Religions but have never taken Beelzebub too seriously.

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48301 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/9/2013 10:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
MOre into acid rock.....drugs...more drugs.....laid back....

tune in...turn on....drop out....

I didn't know too many hippies...the guy across the hall in the dorms went 'hippie' and anti-war....spent too many hours at night smoking pot and listening to radical radio at 2am in the morning...flunked out....moved to Canada to avoid the draft...... wound up in Greenwich Village in NYC years later......

Didn't bother me....seemed rather silly.....and I wasn't going to do drugs....I had a career to build...

and the guy across the hall showed me everything that was wrong with the hippie movement......by example....

after I graduated...the hippie movement was fading fast.....once the war ended...it sort of just ran out of steam...nothing to protest about.... there were a few hippies in Chicago but not many.....if you wanted to be a real hippie you had to be in CAlifornia..

t.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48302 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 1:02 AM
Recommendations: 0
Heh.

Just like Fox News. That is, people learning that nonsense will come out knowing less than people who didn't go to school at all.

1poorguy (older brother was friends with several hippies at that time...they were cool guys and girls)

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48303 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 9:13 AM
Recommendations: 45
Many young people turned to drugs and immoral lifestyles; these youth became known as hippies. They went without bathing, wore dirty, ragged, unconventional clothing, and deliberately broke all codes of politeness or manners. Rock music played an important part in the hippie movement and had great influence over the hippies. Many of the rock musicians they followed belonged to Eastern religious cults or practiced Satan worship.

The next line should read: "One of these hippies was named Steve Jobs, demonstrating what wasted lives they led."

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48304 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 10:00 AM
Recommendations: 30
I did listen to a fair amount of acid rock, also folk rock and classically influenced rock--think Whiter Shade of Pale. I was very into Procol Harum, Jethro Tull (saw them live) and Emerson Lake & Palmer, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers (saw them live), Crosby Stills Nash, Neil Young, the Incredible String Band (psychedlic folk band out of Scotland and as far from top-40 rock as you can get!). Actually, I listened to whatever my boyfriend bought as I didn't have money for records...Country Joe & the Fish, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell (wait, her albums were owned by a previous BF-), Youngbloods, Creedence, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton (I wanted to name my daughter Layla!) Grateful Dead. BF also had Flanders & Swann (British comedy duo) and Firesign Theatre records, so pretty eclectic stuff. And I never stopped listening to classical music--BF owned the famous boxed set of Vienna Philarmonic doing all the Beethoven symphonies conducted by Herbert Von Karajan. I had Mozart & Beethoven quartets from high school, and a few other things, mostly 20th century...Hindemith, Stravinsky, Prokofiev... Plus I sang in the Renaissance choir and listened to early music. And practiced in the shower (I would do much better with medieval karaoke ;-)

Not particularly into drugs--as you can see, I was much more into music (not that they are mutually exclusive, but I wanted to actually pay attention to the music!). Oh, I got stoned once in a while with other people, but never had my own stash, never initiated it, seldom got stoned more often than once a month, never thought about it or looked forward to it (it just happened...I was pretty passive in those days) and I dropped out of the passing of the joints early as I got stoned quickly and if I continued, I'd just fall asleep. Leary (so to speak-) of anything stronger, I took half a mescaline pill exactly once--nothing happened. Never dropped acid. I was too much of a reader of newspapers as well as books and heard about bad, even suicidal, trips. Figured I had a dark place inside same as everybody else and didn't want to chance it.

I also drank less than anybody who wasn't a teetotaler. I didn't even like alcohol until I had my first Harvey Wallbanger (licorice-flavored ladies drink) and my first glass of moderately expensive wine. Like with drugs, even today, I don't look forward to or miss alcohol, just enjoy a little when it's available. My husband poured me a glass of wine a few days ago, red wine that didn't go with dinner, and I declined to drink it.

I read Vonnegut and later Tolkien, and paid less than optimal attention to school. But since I spent childhood, teenagehood, and young adulthood entirely within the Cold War era, I figured the human race wouldn't make it past my age 30 anyhow so I avoided thinking about the future, which included preparing for it. The hippie philosophy of Be Here Now, Do your own thing, have fun, reject dishonesty and convention, all while following the Golden Rule, fit with my head. The only parts of hippiedom that bothered me were extreme passivity (extreme even for me), fre love (oh I liked that, but not with lots of people at once). and near-rejection of science/the rational in favor of love/inspiritation. The hippie movement was as influenced by Jesus and the Buddha as by Timothy Leary, while there was some overlap with leftist politics, it wasn;t very political except in terms of wanting free use of public lands, legalized drugs, more civil rights and less war.

I did make use of a free hippie health clinic, so perhaps rejection of science is an exaggeration. I certainly was never a Communist--like I said, I was aware of the news. My parents took 4 newspapers (NYTimes, NY Herald Tribune, NYPost and Newsday, the main paper of Long Island). The Times with their support of the VIetnam War seemed like a conservative paper to me. During the long NYT workers strike, my parents got the Christian Science Monitor. I still have a soft spot for it. I learned to weave baskets, do tie dye, cook macrobiotic. Ate as far from how I was raised to eat as possible. Fixed Mexican, Indian, and Middle Eastern food before they were common. I camped at Devils Tower before Close Encounters came out ;-) (Alstro, lost in nostalgia...)

I certainly dressed the part--not raggedy or dirty, but unconventional...Indian-influenced, peasant-influenced, occasionally boyfriend's brother's army shirt. RIght through my work years to age 55 I wore long skirts with t-shirts and never lost my appreciation for paisley ;-)

What, you say, you don't know Flanders and Swann?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eT40eV7OiI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPgo6s1lBbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW_zi8n4HDQ

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48308 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 3:15 PM
The 8th grade history book, titled America: Land I love, gives this lesson on hippies:

http://www.alternet.org/education/hippies-demonized-louisian......

Strange. I was there, but that's not the way I remember it at all.

One unconventional guy in particular I recall, whose real name was Doug but we called "Drug," seemed to like nothing better than to do his laundry, get high, clean his room, get high some more, and sit on his bed -- which was really just a mattress on the floor -- and then, dressed in his clean clothes, get high some more, look around at his super clean room, smile contentedly, and get high some more. He was sitting on top of the world. One super-stoned neat-nik.

culcha

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48310 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 3:50 PM
To alstroemeria:
Our tastes in music and other life experiences are not too dissimilar. I think your homelife was normal, whereas mine was not, but other parts of your post sound very familiar. I never did like acid rock or much hard rock, but I loved folk music and "milder" rock music like Herman's Hermits, Lovin' Spoonfool, that sort of thing. I saw Joan Baez (I love her music) in concert in Washington DC about 1976 when I lived there (beginning of my EPA career). I really liked George Harrison after the Beatles split and went to a huge concert with him and Ravi Shankar in Atlanta about 1972 or 73. I also saw Crosby Stills Nash, & Young about the same time period. Those were great concerts. I saw Seals and Croft sometime about then, too, and later found out they are Bahai, which is also what my older sister followed. She started becoming a Bahai in college in the early 1960s at the University of Illinois in Urbana. I bet they were very active in recruitment back then.

Anyway, I was never a hippy-wearing type, and was also very keen on classical music, big band and easy listening like the 1950s and 60s stuff (Sinatra, Nat King Cole, etc.) That was because my step mother had very eclectic music taste. The only music she really loved that I could not stand was jazz. Now I tolerate some milder forms of jazz. The strangest music I ever followed was movie music, and that was because I had a boyfriend who LOVED movie music, became quite an expert, started a radio show on the Atlanta PBS radio station and even had a successful TV program* on the PBS station. He really loved the old style movie music and was appalled when they started using popular music in movies where the time period didn't fit: good example, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

The biggest influence which shaped my whole life was the environmental movement from that same time period. I could see immediately that what we were doing to the planet was horrendous (think burning Lake Erie, dying breeds of birds from pesticides, Love Canal toxic waste). When I decided to get a government job I knew that the Environmental Protection Agency was the only place I really wanted to work. I probably would have fit in at the USGS much better, but I didn't know that at the time.

Art will get a kick out of this. A picture of Jimmy Whaley is on the page. Be sure to scroll down to see who he interviewed. Pretty impressive.
http://www.libs.uga.edu/media/collections/tv/cinema.html
*Cinema Showcase Videotape Collection
<snip>
Jim Whaley (1948-1992) created and hosted Cinema Showcase on Atlanta public television station WPBA (Channel 30) from 1972 to 1992. He previously hosted Cinema Soundtrack for two years on WABE-FM radio, and was for 12 years the film reviewer for Atlanta's Creative Loafing newspaper. Before his death, he served as a member of the Georgia Film and Videotape Commission's Advisory Board.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48312 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 4:26 PM
"Art will get a kick out of this. A picture of Jimmy Whaley is on the page. Be sure to scroll down to see who he interviewed. Pretty impressive.
http://www.libs.uga.edu/media/collections/tv/cinema.html
*Cinema Showcase Videotape Collection
<snip>
Jim Whaley (1948-1992)

------------------------

So Jimmy died when he was 44 years old. Seems the two loves of your life were both predestined to die at a fairly young age. Strange how it worked out that way.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48313 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 4:28 PM
"So Jimmy died when he was 44 years old. Seems the two loves of your life were both predestined to die at a fairly young age. Strange how it worked out that way." - Art

Jimmy looks like he got better looking as he got older. He looked good with that swept back long hair. He was quite a character. Lots of personality.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48314 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 4:31 PM
"Jimmy looks like he got better looking as he got older. He looked good with that swept back long hair. He was quite a character. Lots of personality." - Art

Jimmy was the great love of your life and Jay Borshay was the great love of Robin's life. No telling how your lives would have turned out differently if you had married them instead of the men you ended up being married to? Just like my life would have turned out drastically different if I had married Suzanne Pilkinton. Life has a funny way of turning out that way. I suppose we can all look backwards and ask "what if?"

Art

Author: jakalant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48316 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 6:42 PM
Recommendations: 3
Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48320 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 7:37 PM
"The biggest influence which shaped my whole life was the environmental movement from that same time period. I could see immediately that what we were doing to the planet was horrendous (think burning Lake Erie"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe being too picky - but Lake Erie did not burn - was the Cuyahoga River:

http://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SKGIwsXuA0

Howie52
Love Canal was a major influence in the chemical business - and was
a horror show in the Niagara area.
Bopal and Flixborough probably had as much impact on the chemical
business.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48321 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 11:13 PM
I stand corrected about Lake Erie being on fire, but instead it was the tributaries to the Lake. But Lake Erie was VERY polluted:
wikipedia:
"The water quality deteriorated partially due to increasing levels of the nutrient phosphorus[63] in both the water and lake bottom sediments. The resultant high nitrogen levels in the water caused eutrophication, which resulted in algal blooms and Algae masses[79] and fish kills increasingly fouled the shoreline during this period. There were incidents of the oily surfaces of tributary rivers emptying into Lake Erie catching fire: in 1969, Cleveland's Cuyahoga River erupted in flames,[79] chronicled in a Time Magazine article which lamented a tendency to use rivers flowing through major cities as "convenient, free sewers";[40] the Detroit River caught fire on another occasion.[39] The outlook was gloomy:
Each day, Detroit, Cleveland and 120 other municipalities fill Erie with 1.5 billion gallons of "inadequately treated wastes, including nitrates and phosphates ... These chemicals act as fertilizer for growths of algae that suck oxygen from the lower depths and rise to the surface as odoriferous green scum ... Commercial and game fish—blue pike, whitefish, sturgeon, northern pike—have nearly vanished, yielding the waters to trash fish that need less oxygen. Weeds proliferate, turning water frontage into swamp. In short, Lake Erie is in danger of dying by suffocation.
—Time Magazine, August 1969[40]

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48322 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/10/2013 11:42 PM
alstroemeria says

=alstro, ex-hippie (never dirty or ragged, seldom impolite, unfamiliar with Satan...I think)

My friends and I were sometimes dirty and/or ragged, since we practiced voluntary poverty so we wouldn't have to pay taxes to support the Vietnam War. We made a big point, also, of never being on welfare or other public assistance. We were generally polite and we never met Satan as far as I know.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48352 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/12/2013 10:22 AM
Recommendations: 3
also folk rock and classically influenced rock--think Whiter Shade of Pale. I was very into Procol Harum, Jethro Tull (saw them live) and Emerson Lake & Palmer, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers (saw them live), Crosby Stills Nash, Neil Young, the Incredible String Band (psychedlic folk band out of Scotland and as far from top-40 rock as you can get!). Actually, I listened to whatever my boyfriend bought as I didn't have money for records...Country Joe & the Fish, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell (wait, her albums were owned by a previous BF-), Youngbloods, Creedence, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton (I wanted to name my daughter

I win.

That's me on the left, with my then girlfriend on the right.

www.740wcas.com

While I enjoyed some of the harder stuff, we stuck to folk, folk rock, blues, light jazz, some popular rock (Beatles, Fleetwood Mac) and the occasionally hillbilly record. Saw hundreds of concerts. Also made dozens of dollars.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48396 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/14/2013 11:17 PM
"Lake Erie was VERY polluted"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lake Erie benefited from being shallow - tended to have a large turnover.
The area around Erie,PA was known as Presque Isle - "the Myrtle Beach of
Pittsburgh"

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/presqueisle...

The lake was used for swimming and the park was used for cross country
skiing in the winter in the late 1970s. Ice fishing was popular - although
that particular activity was never one I understood or ever tried.

Some of the rivers are still a problem - around Astabula,Ohio - or they
were a decade or so back.

But the cities - Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo and Toledo in particular -
dumped raw sewage in the lake - and still do during periods of
high rain in particular. Farm runoff was and is a problem.
Industry tends to be a lesser problem.

Howie52
An Erie resident for a time - enjoyed the time there but you
have to really not mind snow. Overall, moving to Greenville was a
good move.

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48464 of 63022
Subject: Re: Dirty hippies...or not Date: 3/19/2013 4:00 PM
I went to college during the Ronald Regan Conservative 80's.

I found a great way to get invited to parties was to be a designated driver.

I met people listening to "Hippie" rock music from the 70's. They tripped on Acid, mushrooms, smoked pot, drank to excess, engaged in casual sexual encounters with great frequency, wore strange clothing...and aquired degrees.

From what I recall they majored in teaching, business and engineering.

These are your children's teachers and community leaders.

Dirty "Hippies" wearing Izod but still...drugs, sex, rock music? Check, check, check.

There's a time and a place for everything...your early 20's.

==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Twenty-five years ago they spoke out and they broke out
Of recession and oppression and together they toked
And they folked out with guitars around a bonfire
Just singin' and clappin' man what the hell happened
Then some were spellbound some were hellbound
Some they fell down and some got back up and
Fought back 'gainst the melt down
And their kids were hippie chicks all hypocrites
Because fashion is smashin' the true meaning of it"

_Smashmouth_

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement