Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Just wanted to know what you thought about this...

I recently (almost 2 years ago) became disabled. I finally got my SS disability claim approved last month. I was wondering about filing for this years taxes.

Isn't there a tax credit I can take for being disabled... I know there is one for children, dependant parents, etc etc. So I figured there should be something to cover my situation.

Also, what else should I know about my circurstances and what I might be entitled to as a tax advantage...

Any and all info would be appreciated. I am late 30's and married. Wife will make about 40K this year. My disability will be the ONLY income I have this year. However, I did get about 14K for back disability benefits, and attorney fees (to get approval of my SS benefits) in a lump sum last month. (I guess I'll get about 16K total this year)

We will be filing married/jointly. Doctor believes I will be totally disabled from now on...
Any short term and long term info is helpful.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.