Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello:

On my home server I run 2 mirrored volumes. One pair is the system drive and the other is the data drive. All 4 are the same exact drive (segate 230 gig ata). I run them off a promise ultra 133 raid card (I even bought a second card of the same model in case this one failed).

My main concern was redundancy to prevent loss of the system or data.

Well, last weekend I lost one of the mirrors on the system drive (amazing in such a short time <1yr so I will get a replacement). It happened to be the mirror that was drive 0 (mirrored with drive 1).

Removing the drive left the array unbootable because I failed to properly edit the boot.ini file on the mirror to make it bootable. In the end, I moved ahead too fast for my own good and lost the system array.

I had a spare and I swapped it in. Server 2003 was installed in 1 night and it's back up and running.

Such much for my best laid plans. I need to do more research on how to recover from a lost mirror on the system drive to prevent this from happening again.

Splotto
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Ouch, sorry to hear that splotto. I have been eyeballing the Buffalo san devices for keeping backups on, with a gigabit connection to it and the prices so low it seems like the best bet for keeping data safe at home.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165075
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello:

My data was safe since I had another separate array for the data drive. My real issue was the failure of the system array and my inability to boot into the mirror drive upon that failure.

I think the issue was that I needed to modify the boot.ini file on the mirror differently then I did.

Splotto
Advertisement