Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71154  
Subject: Disclaimer Date: 11/9/2000 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Fools,

This board is dedicated to education on buying, maintaining, and repairing your private automotive vehicle. We invite all of you out there in the automotive sales or repair industries, or those of you in related fields, to come in an join this discussion.

The Motley Fool Community is built around the free flow of information and cooperation among users, in fact that's the thing that distinguishes our community from others. However, while you may in fact believe your statements on the board are helpful to others, please be cognizant of the fact that:

(1) Automotive maintenance codes vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
(2) In some jurisdictions it may be a violation of the law to render professional advice in this type of forum.

Furthermore, it's possible that someone who renders wrong advice on the boards could be subject to legal liability in the event the advice is heeded and damages result.

Should these issues (or will these) issues inhibit the free and open discussion that are held on this board? If you have an opinion on someone's question on the board, by all means respond, but please make clear that your response is in no way intended to be construed as professional advice. For people on this board who are looking for advice please remember that a message board may not be the best place to get advice on repairing and diagnosing the problems of your vehicle. Like any of our other message boards, we encourage you to use them as a resource, but do your own research and your own homework before making a decision and if that means hiring a licensed professional, by all means please do so.

Best,

Richard Dressner
Community Coordinator
The Motley Fool
www.fool.com/register.asp
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8128 of 71154
Subject: Re: Disclaimer Date: 11/9/2000 7:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
Wow.... can I ask what promoted this?

Was someone sued because of message (not nessesarilly on the MF)?

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8132 of 71154
Subject: Re: Disclaimer Date: 11/10/2000 11:51 AM
Wow.... can I ask what promoted this?

Was someone sued because of message (not nessesarilly on the MF)?

Not to my knowledge, but ya never know. This is just to keep the legals happy. If you want to see what they are like when unhappy, take a look at Florida next week ;-)

Cheers,
Richard

Author: stdupree Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13519 of 71154
Subject: Re: Disclaimer Date: 8/22/2001 1:51 PM
(apologies for the length - skip to the last paragraph if i start getting boring. also posted on the LBYM board - http://fireboards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15609414)

Earlier this summer i bought an old beater with a standard transmission. I already have a reliable pickup i bought a few years ago, and i bought this car for a few reasons: a) my truck has an automatic transmission, and i wanted to learn to drive a standard, just for the fun of it. b) My fiancee is visiting for the summer, and it would be nice to have a car for her to drive during that time. c) It was supposed to be nearly free. I figured i could buy the car cheap, drive it around (at a better gas mileage than my truck) for a few months, then sell it to someone else for the same price, since a car that old wouldn't depreciate noticably in a few months. Even the insurance was almost free when i made DF the primary driver on the heavily-insured truck and myself the primary on the liability-only car. (personally i think i am a better, or at least more experienced driver, than her, but the insurance company has their own ideas :)

I paid $830 for an '86 Subaru GL Wagon from a private party. The paint was corroded (though not through to the metal, and no visible rust) and it needed brake work of some unspecified kind. It supposedly had an emissions test that was valid for 2 years. I waited a few weeks before attempting to switch the registration to my name, at which point i was informed that the emissions test is valid for 2 years when renewing a registration, but only one year for a transfer. The car failed emissions. I had had it too long to try to make the seller take it back. It cost $100 to get the car tuned and pass emissions. Annoying but livable. I drove it for a month, then one day while my finacee was learning to drive it in a parking lot about a mile from home it started steaming all over the place. We brought it back to the shop, and paid another $100 or so to find out that there was a cracked hose that needed to be replaced, and also the thermostat was corroded so they replaced that too. I drove the car to work that day, and on the highway on the way home the engine quit. The mechanic (they must be loving this car by now) tells me that the timing belt broke, luckily it didn't damage the engine further but it's gonna cost another $400 to repair.

$400 is a bit much for something that was supposed to be almost free, and just for fun. I think of other things i would rather spend it on. On the other hand, if i don't repair it, i feel like i would be wasting the money i have spent already. I could repair it and immediately sell it to someone else. I could repair it and hope it stays running for a month or 2. I could call other garages to see if i can get it fixed for less than $400. I could try to sell it as-is, though i don't how much i could get for a non-running car with 200,000 miles on it. I could just have it hauled away to a junkyard, and write off what i've put in already as a learning experience. DF is annoyed that i've wasted so much money on a "fun" expenditure, but I'm not going to cry over spilt milk here. I just want to figure which option would most likely leave me with the largest amount of money (or least amount of lost money).

Comments welcome,
steve

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement