UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lynchimnot One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 50177  
Subject: Discover - Part II Date: 10/22/1999 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 39
I had a little extra time today, so I decided to start looking into alternate on-line brokers, since Discover/MSDW has decided to up their price. This will be a long post, so be forewarned. By the way, Discover will charge $50 bucks to transfer your IRA account, if that's what you have (as I do).

I went to the Kiplinger, Smart Money and Gomez on-line sites. Each of these sites have recent ratings of on-line brokers. I complied all the brokers listed in each of their top 20, weeded out the duplicates, and then took out any broker whose basic on-line trades cost over $15. That left 17 brokers (I ended up weeding out a couple more, which I'll explain later)

I created an excel spreadsheet into which I inserted and compared information which was of interest to me about each broker. Included in this was cost, minimum requirements, after hours trading, IRA fees, etc. I then called each broker's toll free number to try and determine their level of customer service (which I realize can vary greatly from being a prospect to a customer), plus ask additional questions.

It was an intersting and fun (somewhat) exercise. One thing I did find is that there tends to be a lot of disparity between the rankings (Gomez ranks Seibert 19th in customer service while Smart Money has them first).

Below I've given a synopsis on what I found (in no particular order). Please use as a guide at your discretion. I didn't include any information on the broker's web site, as I think that has a lot to do with personal taste, and everyone should pull it up and check it out before making a decision anyway. Also, I know there is a lot of complaints on this board about many of the brokers listed (especially Datek). This post does not include any information from those sources - it is strictly from the three sites mentioned, the broker's website, and my speaking with a broker representative.

Good luck on everyone's search.

Ken (Lynch-I'm-Leaving-Discover)

Note: Kiplinger's star ratings are out of five, so 1 would mean a 1 out of 5.

Seibert (seibertnet.com - 800-872-0711)
Cost: $14.95 up to 1000 shares
Rankings: Gomez - 14th, Kip - 2nd, SM - 1st
Real time quotes: unlimited
SM's Web Reliability Score - 1st
Annual IRA Fee - $30, Close IRA - $50
Customer Service Rating: Kip 5 stars, SM - 1st, Gomez - 19th. Personal - very good, a live person answered the phone, and could answer all my questions.

Waterhouse (waterhouse.com - 800-934-4410)
Cost: $12.00
Rankings: Gomez - 10th, Kip - 8th, SM - 2nd
SM's Reliability score - 12th
Customer Service Rating: Kip - 1 star, SM - 14th, Gomez - 1st. Personal - very poor, couldn't get a live person without an account number.

Quick and Reilly (quickandreilly.com)
Cost: $14.95
Rankings: Gomez - 13th, SM - 3rd
SM's web reliability score - 14th
No more informaation. How this company got SM #3 ranking I can't figure out. I had a hard time getting information and never was able to get anyone on the phone. Plus the webiste stinks (my only comment on a website)

Bidwell (bidwell.com - 800-547-6337)
Cost - $12.00
Rankings: Gomez - 16th, SM - 4th
Real time quotes - 100 initial, additional 100 for each trade
SM reliability score - 8th
$25 annual IRA fee
Customer Service Rankings: Gomez - 14th, SM - 4th. Personal - good, I spoke with someone after a minimum wait.

NDB (ndb.com - 88-302-7764)
Cost: $14,75
Rankings: Gomez - 4th, SM - 6th, Kip - 19th
Real time quotes - unlimited
SM Reliability score - 5th
$35 IRA fee if under $10k, $85 IRA closing fee
Customer Service Rankings: Kip - 1 star, SM - 5th, Gomez - 5th. Personal: Good, minimum wait to talk to live person, very knowledgable

Ameritrade (ameritrade.com - 800-454-9272)
Cost: $8
Rankings: SM - 9th, Kip - 9th
Real time quotes - 100 for opening, 100 per trade
SM Web Reliability Score - 9th
$25 close IRA fee
Customer service rankings: Kip - 4 stars, SM - 13th, Gomez - 11th. Personal: Good - Live person answered phone, but had to put me on hold several times to check answers to my questions.

E-Trade (etrade.com - 800-786-2575)
Rankings: Gomez - 1st, Kip - 15th, SM - 17th
Real time quote - unlimited
SM Web reliability ranking - 20th
Customer service rankings: Kip - 1 star, SM - 20th, Gomez - 9th. Personal: Poor, automated voice mail hell, never got a live person.

Brown & Co. (brownco.com - 800-822-2021)
Cost: $5
Rankings: Kip - 6th, SM 18th
Real time quotes: 100 for opening, 100 for each trade
SM Web Reliability ranking: 1st (tied with Seibert)
$15,000 minimum to open account
Customer service ranking: Kip - 4 stars, SM 11th. Personal: Very Good - spoke with someone almost immeidately, very knowledgable.

Scottrade (scottrade.com - 800-619-7283)
Cost: $7
Rankings: Kip - 17th, SM - 19th
Real time quotes: 100 for opening, 100 for each trade
SM Web reliability ranking - 16th
$60 fee to close IRA, $25 to transfer
Customer Service Rankings: Kip - 3 stars, SM - 6th, Gomez - 6th. Personal: Very Good - live person answered the phone.

Datek (datek.com - 800-823-2835)
Cost: $9.99
Rankings: Kip - 7th, Gomez - 9th, SM - 21st
SM Web reliability score - 21st (lowest ranking)
Customer service ranking: Kip - 3 stars, SM - 8th, Gomez - 12th. Personal - Good, was able to speak with a live person after a small wait.

Mr Stock - (mrstock.com, 800-470-1896)
Rankings - Kip 3rd
Real time quotes - 100 for opening, 100 for each trade
$40 IRA fee if under $10k
Complete new website planned for early 2000
Customer Service ranking: Kip - 5 stars. Personal: Good, short wait, friendly staff

My Discount Broker (mydiscountbroker.com - 888-882-5600)
Cost: $12
Rankings: Gomez - 8th, Kip - 4th
$25 close IRA fee
Customer service ranking: Kip - 4 stars. Personal - very good, the best of the brokers I called. Live person answered the phone, could anwer all my questsion, was familiar with the latest rankings of brokers, even offered additional information and resources.

AB Watley (abwatley.com - 888-WATLEY)
Cost: $9.95
Rankings: Gomez - 7th, Kip - 10th
Real time quotes - unlimited
$30 annual IRA fee, $50 close IRA fee, $25 transfer fee
Customer Service rankings: Gomez - 10th, Kip - 2 stars. Personal: rang into automated attendant, but was picked up after a short wait.

WebStreet Securities (webstreet.com, 800-932-8723)
Cost: $14,95
Rankings: Gomez - 15th, Kip - 12th
Real time quote - unlimited
$50 close IRA fee
Customer service ranking - Kip - 2 stars. Personal - OK, rang to automated attendant, brief wait for live person.

Firsttrade and Suretrade were originally part of the list, but I had difficulty getting information off their website and could not locate a toll free number, so I ended up dropping them from my study.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement