UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60161  
Subject: Disgusting Date: 7/31/2011 6:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 77
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011...

Reid tentatively backs deal to raise debt ceiling

. . . The outlines of the proposal on the table would raise the nation's $14.3 trillion debt ceiling in two stages.
. . .

Today, the Senate on a 50-49 vote failed to end a filibuster on Reid's debt-limit proposal . . .

. . .
McConnell said the deal would increase the debt ceiling in two stages -- as Boehner's House plan sought to do -- and include $3 trillion in spending cuts.

. . .
Initially, the debt limit would be raised by about $1 trillion and federal spending would be cut by an almost equal amount. A new joint committee of Congress would be appointed to come up with more spending cuts -- including changes to Medicare and entitlements -- that would be tied to a second increase of $1.4 trillion in the debt limit.

If Congress rejected the joint committee's recommendations, automatic spending cuts across the government -- including to the popular Medicare health care program for seniors and to Pentagon operations -- would take effect.
. . .
. . .
House economic adviser Gene Sperling, also appearing on CNN, said there would be no revenue increases in the deal being worked out between the White House and McConnell.

McConnell said negotiators are working on a guarantee that Congress would vote on a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution as part of the deal. . .

What am I missing? Is there one single part of this deal that is not simply Democrats surrendering to Republican terrorism?

Here is how Obama and Democrats negotiate with Republicans today:

Obama: First, before we even start negotiating, I would like to give you 1/2 of what you want and take 1/2 of what I want off the table. That seems fair.

Republican Congress: No. Everything we want and nothing you want or we'll destroy the country.

Obama: Okay, how about if I remove 90% of what I want and give you 1/2 of what you want? Polls and surveys show that what you want is unpopular and the remaining 10% that I want is very popular.

Republican Congress: No. Everything we want and nothing you want or we'll destroy the country.

Obama: Okay, I'll take all of my desires off the table and give you 90% of what you asked for. And don't worry, I want to keep these discussions civil so I won't work to point out that your proposals are terribly misguided and unpopular with a majority of Americans.

Obama: Okay, we'll do exactly what you asked for.

Republican Congress: No. We want to add to our destructive demands and embarrass you even more than we already have. Give us more or we'll destroy the country.

Obama: Okay. I will do whatever you want and then I'll make a speech and pretend that America wins because we were able to reach an agreement.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement