UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 129121  
Subject: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/24/2012 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
About a year ago, they changed auto dish detergent formulations taking out solid chlorine bleach (disinfectant) and phosphates. Since then the quality of cleaning has gone down.

Gel type dish detergent seems to perform better than powders, but gel type gradually accumulates a white film on glassware.

What is your experience with the new dish detergents. Which work best in old machines?

Do new machines clean better with the new detergents?

With the gel types if I put an aluminum pie pan in my dishwasher, it comes out with pinholes in it. (You can see them when the pan is held up to the light.) (Maybe they took the sodium silicate corrosion inhibitor out too.)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123117 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/24/2012 4:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Most of your aluminum pie pans now have pinholes in them.

Donna

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123118 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/24/2012 4:34 PM
Yes, but these are extras. Ditto aluminum foil in the dishwasher.

Dish detergent has always been highly alkaline and hard on aluminum, but the new formulations seem worse than before.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123119 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/24/2012 4:36 PM
Considering I never wash aluminum foil in the dishwasher (wash it by hand for future re-use), I wouldn't now about that. As far as the pie pans go, I'll have to see what happens the next time I do wash one in the dishwasher. Usually, I wash them by hand and (if no pinholes), I use them for plant plates.

Donna

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123122 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/24/2012 5:03 PM
Thanks for your comments, but which of the new dish detergents do you find works best for you?

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123124 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/24/2012 5:44 PM
I use the Gel type dishwashing detergent, and have no problems. In addition, I have not noticed a "scum" on the dishes. By the way, the brand is Cascade with Dawn (lemon scent).

Donna

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123128 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/25/2012 6:10 AM
What is that annoying white film that appears now and then on glassware washed in the dishwasher, anyway? Supposedly, my water is not "hard" at all. I assume it's on all the dishes and silverware, too, but is visible primarily on glassware.

If I notice any white film, I rewash that load, adding a half cup of vinegar. Everything comes out spotless, and surprisingly, the effect seems to last for a month or more without adding any more vinegar.

Trini

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123129 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/25/2012 4:08 PM
I use the JetDry every once in a while, but have very little problems with the film. Maybe, it's the Dawn in the detergent. I will have to say that I have one of those dishwashers with a heater in it that increases the water temp for washing. This enables me to keep my hot water heater at 120 deg. F, but the dishwasher pumps the temp up to 140 deg. F. I do not use the "energy" saver in my dishwasher, but do use the dryer cycle. Since I am alone, I only use the dishwasher once per week (rinsing the dishes prior to placing them in the dishwasher).

Donna

Author: wizand One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123132 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 11/25/2012 10:05 PM
Without the phosphates, hard water deposits can build up that turn glasses cloudy. I have found two products that help combat the problem. The first is Sun gel dishwasher detergent (Walmart) which seems better on hard water deposits than most other detergents. The second is Lemi-Shine (also at some Walmarts) which is a powder hard water treatment. It can remove the hard water deposits from glasses but it can not remove the long term glass etching.

Wizand

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123297 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 12/8/2012 3:38 AM
I always add my own phosphates and bleach as necessary to get my dishes and laundry clean.

Interesting idea - so what do you add, and how much?

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123305 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 12/8/2012 4:14 PM
I always add my own phosphates

The ones used as builders (to enhance cleaning power in detergent formulations) are sodium tripolyphosphate and sodium or potassium pyrophosphate (preferably tetrasodium or tetrapotassium). Sodium and potassium acid phosphates are also made but less common.

I find none of these listed on Amazon at reasonable prices ($1/lb in 20 to 100 lb quantities).

Kahuna, where do you get yours?

Chemical distributors listed in the yellow pages in your area, probably have them, but will they sell to individuals?

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123306 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 12/8/2012 4:57 PM
Paul,

I get my TSP at places like Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure of price.

IP

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123315 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 12/9/2012 4:24 PM
But TSP (trisodium phosphate) is best known for its strong alkalinity. It is not a high performance builder.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 123316 of 129121
Subject: Re: Dishwasher "Washes dishes well". Date: 12/9/2012 4:41 PM
Here is a typical autodish detergent formulation. It shows sodium tripolyphosphate is typically 1/3 of the solid formulation.

SODIUM CARBONATE (LT. DENSITY) 41.0
Low foaming nonionic surfactant 2.0
SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, POWDER 34.0
SODIUM METASILICATE PENTAHYDRATE 20.0
CLEARON CDB (FMC) 3.0

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement