No. of Recommendations: 0
The part -- I don't know the name of it -- that keeps the dishwasher door from flopping open when you let go of it, an internal cord or rope of some kind -- broke the other day. We called Sears (it's a Kenmore) and bought a one-year warranty for $229 which included the cost of the repair. The guy came today and fixed it. The repair would have been $168, so we got the warranty for an extra $61. Given the age of the dishwasher, over eight years, I think that's not a bad thing. The warranty is good for up to $500 for any repair and if a repair goes above $500, we can instead choose a $500 credit towards the purchase of a new dishwasher.

I asked the repair guy what he thought of our GE oven and cooktop, remembering the calumny with which GE products have been greeted on this board. He said that in his experience the GE cooking appliances hold up well but their dishwashers not so much.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
I've been happy with my GE range. No issues.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hey fleg9bo,,,

"The part -- I don't know the name of it -- that keeps the dishwasher door from flopping open when you let go of it, an internal cord or rope of some kind -- broke the other day. We called Sears (it's a Kenmore) and bought a one-year warranty for $229 which included the cost of the repair. The guy came today and fixed it. The repair would have been $168, so we got the warranty for an extra $61. Given the age of the dishwasher, over eight years, I think that's not a bad thing. The warranty is good for up to $500 for any repair and if a repair goes above $500, we can instead choose a $500 credit towards the purchase of a new dishwasher. "

Well, most Dishwasher and Oven Door balance is controlled by one or two Spring, about 1/2" - 5/8" Diam. and about 3-5" long.
So, you probably had a broken Door-Spring, they are available in most hardware stores, for about $2 - $5. To replace one yourself, it would probably take about 1/2 hour, at most. All you need to do is to, pull the Dishwasher or Oven out, flip it on its side, so you have access to the bottom, take out the broken spring, they are normally attached between the bottom of the door and the frame, and replace with the new one.

So I would say, you paid for kind of expensive Spring. $229. However, what you really did, is that you purchased a $229 insurance policy, against future repair costs!!! And, that might be OK, your Dishwasher is over 8 years old, I had one that lasted 20 years. So, you may get the opportunity collect on that Insurance yet!!!

Just my 2 cents...

TK...
No. of Recommendations: 1
you probably had a broken Door-Spring

Not the spring but the rope.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/questions/134666-how-can-i-c...

The spring is... metal so it's not likely to have broken. The rope... has been known to break. The rope is routed over part key number 9 and attached to the door. With the lower access panel removed you can reach in and feel for the spring and rope link....

We had the same repair done four or five years ago and the repair guy did it by feel -- I watched him and couldn't see what he was doing. That's when I decided I didn't want to tackle it myself if it happened again, not if I had to do it by touch. The rope that was replaced is Part #24 on the diagram at this link. I don't know if other parts were also replaced:

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wkddfwdtkrwbkrtxgtqsskgwtqkq,vi/k...

Yesterday's repair guy said earlier replacement kits were made too cheaply or designed poorly so the rope rubbed on something and didn't last long - as we discovered - but this has been improved upon. No matter - if it breaks again in four years it will be a good excuse to replace the black unit with a stainless steel one that makes a little less noise.

--fleg
Hey fleg9bo,,,

OK, I see what you are talking about. I have never run into any of those Ropa-A-Dope things. In Whirlpool and Maytag Dishwasher, and/or Stove Doors I have only seen this type of Door-Hinge-Cam attached to the Door-Frame, with the other end of the Spring attached to frame, like here:

http://www.applianceaid.com/images/springinglis2.JPG

But hey, live and learn,,, that Ropa-A-Dope thingy sounds/looks a little hokey, to me!!!

However apparently some other Dishwasher Brands/Models also use the Ropa-A-Dope thingy!!! Don't know why they want to make something pretty simple, so complicated???

TK...
Don't know why they want to make something pretty simple, so complicated???

Pretty simple reason, axully - Bosch prolly designed da thang.
Advertisement