Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49975  
Subject: Disney Springs Date: 3/16/2013 2:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
There have been a number of false starts for the area formerly known as Pleasure Island (a name that still make me chuckle). Now Disney has decided on what it is going to build and the construction starts next month.

Walt Disney World Resort guests and local Florida residents have been enjoying Downtown Disney for more than 30 years, but we knew we had an opportunity to reimagine and reinvent this corner of the resort. We’ve spent a good deal of time thinking through just what we want this area to be, and how to bring it to life to make it a place unlike any other. And we have even scrapped a few preliminary plans that we felt didn’t measure up to our aspirations for this place.</i?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/03/announcing-dis...

I like what it is proposed and the use of the waterfront as something to see, not hide. The pedestrian bridge is also a nice touch to relieve foot traffic from in front of stores.

What is missing is something anyone who has been to Downtown Disney during any busy period -- mass transit and mass parking. I have shown a number of times the relatively short distance between today's Downtown and hubs like EPCOT and the Studio. While monorails are iconic and a symbol of Disney's, I would settle for anything that would make the trip to the retail area an off-WDW-road experience.

I'd also welcome a people mover (to use a Disney EPCOT term) to get people around the Springs. If you want to Dine at the Rainforest Cafe and see a show at Cirque, you have got a very long walk ahead of you. Add in the return trip to your car after the show and people with physical limitations (including children) will probably not do what they want to do. Why the limitation when Disney is so profitable and it claims it want to be the happiest place on earth?

While the area slides show the new water tower entrance, Disney needs to realize that WDW has a traffic congestion problem in this area. New entrances are not what I want to see. I want to see a clear path to being being able to get to the retail and dining without a nightmare experience fighting traffic.

The Premier Outlet Mall across the freeway from WDW is a daily traffic nightmare. While it probably has the highest sales per square foot of any retail outlet, those sales could be even higher if it had two things -- little traffic and adequate parking. My wife and I use to shop there regularly before this place became well known. Now, if we go, we time our trip so we can arrive early in the day. So, we rarely go there.

Disney has land off of EPCOT Drive that could provide some parking relief for this area and keep Disney Springs visitors less than 1/2 mile from the Springs and off WDW's other main roads. There is also land directly across the street from the Springs that would be suited for tram transportation -- since it is less than 100 feet from the parking edge and the Springs. A side benefit of moving parking away from where it is today is that there is prime lakefront taken up by the parking lot next to Cirque du Soleil.

W.D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement