Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Disposing of MLP units is tax-complicated.

If you sell, the MLP will have to tell you how much of any gain is capital gains, how much is recaptured Sec. 1245 depreciation and some past energy credits (ordinary income) and how much, if any, offseting cummulative losses that can be used against the gains.

If you gift the MLP units to another person, all basis and holding period should transfer. Remember, your aquisition basis is not the basis at disposition. Your adjusted basis will be aquisition plus transaction fees less all past return of capital.

If you donate shares to a qualifying charity, I have seen two points of view on this. The first says that the donation amount is the fair market value just like any other donation. The second, and I think correct view, is that the FMV must be adjusted down for any gain on disposition that is attributable to ordinary income. This would include Sec. 1245 personal property depreciation and, if applicable, any short term capital gains.

As the limited partner, it is up to you to notify the MLP of the donation or gift...your brokerage will generally not do this for you.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.