UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: apacherose Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: dispute of credit-card purchase Date: 4/16/2004 12:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In 2-04, I purchased a $500 desk from a Florida furniture store, placing it on my MBNA Motley-Fool credit card. The desk was damaged upon delivery & missing brass hardware, so another delivery date replaced the damaged section, but MINUS the brass hardware. I refused to sign the delivery release, until I called local store Customer Service & informed them of missing hardware from the delivery. In turn, they re-ordered brass hardware & I was told the delivery would be within 7-14 days via UPS/Federal Express,etc. It never arrived, am still in continuous follow-up with Customer Service...that is still experiencing futile communication with Parts Department...thus with no results.

MBNA has informed me that I have until 5-16-04(90 day buyer protection plan) to file a dispute for defective merchandise, but will have to return the desk. Two questions at this point: 1) Because the desk is "incomplete without brass hardware", does that qualify as "defective"? 2) Once in dispute, will I physically be responsible for returning the desk by renting a U-Haul,etc OR will the furniture store pick-up the desk?

Has anyone ever disputed a major furniture purchase via credit card...please tell me what to expect...such as the detail of events, etc. I have never filed a purchase dispute with credit card company before. Another question at this point: 3) Should I file a dispute now with MBNA while still in seemingly unsuccessful negotiations with furniture store's Customer service channels...if so, is the dispute revokable should the brass hardware miracuously arrive via UPS?

Another twist surfaced yesterday...the CSR that I have been consistently communicating with did express her regrets for the entire scenario & inquired if I would like a total desk exchange or refund if she received no response from Parts Department...to which I immediately said "YES to the refund". 4)In this case, would it be advisable to pursue a credit card dispute...would credit dispute over-ride the furniture store policy of 80% refund, due to a 20% re-stocking charge?

All input is welcome & greatly appreciated...tired & weary Apacherose
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement