Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WhiteHatBobby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23751  
Subject: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/17/2013 7:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Can you believe it? Upon arriving in Myrtle Beach Friday night for packet pickup at Bi-Lo Marathon XV presented by Toronto Dominion, I presented myself to the proper table and was called back 15 minutes later notifying that I had been disqualified by officials Thursday.

The disqualification notice was made, according to race officials, because of my actions towards medical officials at the 30km point of last year's race, when I defied doctor's orders to stop after dehydration and cramps set in and I fell down hard on the north end loop. I felt so hard in pain after that I told a doctor I wanted to take my life by jumping off the Ponte Vecchio into the Arno River, which for those not familiar is a reference Lauretta's signature aria "O mio babbino caro" in Puccini's comedy "Gianni Schicchi". Opera is a genre that I admire, and I have the utmost respect of those who sing it, and as those in other boards understand, I have performed in Summer Chorus gigs with serious material.

About 25 minutes after being in the ambulance and run through tests, (with water, et al), another official said I was cleared to finish.

Well, the first medical official came to race officials mid-week after my e-mail had arrived to pick up my number (CHANG 320) to order the disqualification.

It didn't arrive home in time, so the one tank of fuel ($60), two nights hotel ($185), and extra groceries were booked. One night was cancelled, but everything else was wasted. I ended up in my hotel room in frustration, didn't even unpack, and had to leave before dawn to avoid the race start that would prevent me from being home.

How frustrating can it be to be refused for what he felt was defiance? This isn't boxing where a referee or doctor can stop the bout. We signed our legal papers saying we know our risks. I didn't use bad language, I just quoted opera in frustration. We have cultural illiteracy it seems. Maybe the push towards rock music in our society is weaning the high culture out, and Mona Charen is right.

That's three DQ's in nine months -- two administrative and one medical.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23384 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/21/2013 8:57 PM
Recommendations: 15
Suicide is a big problem in the military. I have a crew of about 300 Sailors, and in the past ~30 months I've had about 15 Sailors express varying degrees of suicidal ideations. I've had one Sailor commit suicide - on the ship at six in the morning. I watched him bleed out and washed the brain matter away, and have beat myself up over the 18 months since about how we could have stopped it.

I don't know you very well other than your posts here, and I admire you for keeping at running, but the drama - especially with respect to suicide comments - has got to stop. The race officials have a lot going on and given your past behavior (I recall you threatening suicide a few years ago as well) I really don't blame them.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23385 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/22/2013 8:04 AM
Recommendations: 2
The disqualification notice was made, according to race officials, because of my actions towards medical officials at the 30km point of last year's race, when I defied doctor's orders to stop after dehydration and cramps set in and I fell down hard on the north end loop....

Don't have too much to say about whether you were disqualified for an irrational response to jokey suicidal ideation etc......but given the equally irrational response to the handful of runners who've actually died after dehydration/rehydration issues in enduance races, I'm mighty glad that you got to pay the price yourself. Otherwise runners like me would end up getting stuck with the cost.

I remember joking a decade or so back that risk tolerance was getting so bad that we'd all have to present a medical history affidavit to race marshalls before we were allowed to run......and then someone came back with the insight that he'd been excluded from a race somewhere in Europe because he didn't have some iteration of a *doctor's note* to pronounce him fit.

Sometimes things that happen to you really do have something to do with you.

Vivienne

Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23386 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/22/2013 12:57 PM
I remember joking a decade or so back that risk tolerance was getting so bad that we'd all have to present a medical history affidavit to race marshalls before we were allowed to run......and then someone came back with the insight that he'd been excluded from a race somewhere in Europe because he didn't have some iteration of a *doctor's note* to pronounce him fit.

I ran a race in France a few years ago and had to fax/scan a doctor's note that had to run...it seems to be pretty standard over there.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23387 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/22/2013 1:50 PM
I ran a race in France a few years ago and had to fax/scan a doctor's note that had to run...it seems to be pretty standard over there.

See....I wasn't making it up!

Vivienne

Author: WhiteHatBobby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23390 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/26/2013 5:32 AM
Navy58, the joking started in tragedy of my voice teacher herself. Ten years ago, my voice teacher cancelled the final lesson before a recital because she was having a hard time with a scene in Menotti's "The Consul," as it emotionally affected her because of its reminiscence with her mother's suicide nearly two years prior to this incident. On Valentine's week, she postponed two lessons in order to return to her native Mississippi, settling her mother's estate -- I said "Have a Happy Valentine's Day" but then she admitted the tragedy to me. It broke my heart, and our budding friendship was drastically affected, considering I had studied what caused suicides during the 2001 National Right to Life Convention in Charlotte (influence of nihilism).

At the time of the cancellation, she said simply "she had a scene in (that week's performance of The Consul) to do". I accepted the response, and four days later was the performance of the Menotti opera. In the theatre, I read the libretto, and upon the end of the opera, I could see why my lesson was cancelled. She couldn't take the suicide scene well. I could see her having a hard time with it.

A few years later, I was frustrated after the Cooper River Bridge Run XXX when I didn't show up because of a stomach virus on race morning. A few weeks later at a voice lesson, in humourous furore to her, I said I wanted to take my own life after the DNS during a voice lesson. She laughed hard and responded, "The Consul!"

After a gridiron derby loss to the hated opponent that had me frustrated that everyone else had a party on New Year's and I was left starving I told her I wanted to jump off the Ponte Vecchio into the Arno the next week at a concert, and she responded, "Did you see Gianni Schicchi (a few weeks prior to the concert)?"

Indeed, I had attended the twinbill of "Amahl and the Night Visitors" and "Gianni Schicchi" just three weeks prior to that concert, exactly what she had expected I attended.

Classic music people -- what do you expect from them having fun with opera and literacy. Much better than those with only a popular culture brain.

As for my furore in last year's marathon, I had pictured "O mio babbino caro" in the Puccini comedy. Maybe I laugh too hard at myself and make fun of failure with a satirical look at "The Pain of Losing," with references to death at the opera, certain sounds on television, and illegal street racing of the 1950's.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23391 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/26/2013 10:18 AM
Recommendations: 4
...Classic music people -- what do you expect from them having fun with opera and literacy. Much better than those with only a popular culture brain.

As for my furore in last year's marathon, I had pictured "O mio babbino caro" in the Puccini comedy. Maybe I laugh too hard at myself and make fun of failure with a satirical look at "The Pain of Losing," with references to death at the opera, certain sounds on television, and illegal street racing of the 1950's.

So, it's not you.....it's them The ones with only a popular culture brain?

I suspect you're going to be facing a few more DQ's in the future if you think your disqualification this time was due to cultural illiteracy. You were given a perfectly valid reason.....you ignored medical advice in the past. That's why. You displayed symptoms of a potentially serious condition and you ignored medical advice.

Or maybe there's a clause about excluding cultural poseurs from races that I haven't read about. That's always possible, I guess, but I'm still going to go the Occam's Razor route and suggest it was due to the reason you were given.

Author: WhiteHatBobby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23392 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/27/2013 11:31 AM
Turned out the week before the marathon last year I had to leave a concert with flu-like symptoms and wasn't fully healed from the flu.

Here's the legal waiver I signed:

"In consideration of the acceptance of this entry, I hereby, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns, release and discharge the sponsors and operators of the Myrtle Beach Marathon and their agents and employees from any and all claims for damages sufferred by me as a result of my participation in or traveling to or from the said event to be held on February 14, 15, 16, 2013. I specifically release and discharge said operators and sponsors from all injuries or damages arising from or contributed to by any physical impairment or defect. I may have, whether latent or patent, and agree that they are under no obligation to provide a physical examination or other evidence of my physical fitness to participate in such event the same being my sole responsibility. I also give permission for the free use of my name and picture in any broadcast, telecast, or written account of the event. Subject to drug testing according to the USATF Rules and IAAF Rule 14."

The disclaimer does not say officials can reject an entry for any reason, and the sudden last-minute disqualification after my entry becomes an issue.

I since ran two halves without problem, with a sub-2:15 half in November. So one flu bug created this mess.

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23393 of 23751
Subject: Re: Disqualification Again (3 in 9 months) Date: 2/27/2013 2:18 PM
Recommendations: 5
So one flu bug created this mess.

I have a feeling it was more than the flu bug. It's their race, they can decide who races adn who doesn't. I have a feeling an attitude played a small part in this.

Charlie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement