Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rfbsurfer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19378  
Subject: Distribution plan for new retirees Date: 12/13/2000 9:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there information available to determine the best way(s) to utilize assets from both IRA and non IRA sources during the early stages of retirement?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlaBuckeye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5818 of 19378
Subject: Re: Distribution plan for new retirees Date: 12/13/2000 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Take a look at http://www.i-orp.com
It's a great retirement planner and shows how to spend your before tax, after tax and Roth IRA's to make it last. I think it's one of the best calculators available.
Good luck and Happy Holidays.
Jim

Author: rfbsurfer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5819 of 19378
Subject: Re: Distribution plan for new retirees Date: 12/13/2000 10:00 AM
To FLABUCKEYE

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a reasonable place to start.

Author: TheBadger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5820 of 19378
Subject: Re: Distribution plan for new retirees Date: 12/13/2000 10:05 AM
As a general axiom, it is wise to look at your financial plan and, as best possible, exhaust your 401k/IRA assets first and your after-tax assets second; however, this is all secondary to making your assets provide the income stream you need.

IMHO, you should visit www.soapbox.com and view a variety of reports; particularly mine on "substantially equal periodic payments" which discusses how to make 401k/IRA withdrawals before the age of 59 1/2 without penalty.

TheBadger

Author: DaChes Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5836 of 19378
Subject: Re: Distribution plan for new retirees Date: 12/17/2000 12:30 AM
I am recently retired, and am somewhat baffled by this statement:
"exhaust your 401k/IRA assets first and your after-tax assets second"

Without doing any detailed analyses, I've been thinking I should spend first from investments that are not tax-deferred, allowing IRAs and my 403b portfolios to continue compounding tax-free until I have to start mandatory distributions. What is wrong with my logic?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement