No. of Recommendations: 2
Trade in Goods with Advance Technology Products
http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c0007.html

We have been running negative trade in advanced technology since 2002.

I question whether the cost savings* trump national interest/security. I suspect whatever country that the high tech is made is subject to industrial espionage, especially in China.

*And I wonder how much cost savings there is as much of manufacturing is now automated.

Then counterfeit parts are manufactured by foreign countries from the stolen info.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-07/counterfeit-parts-f...

Dozens of suspected counterfeit parts have been installed on U.S. defense equipment from Raytheon Co. (RTN), L-3 Communications Holdings Inc. (LLL) and Boeing Co. (BA), including aircraft deployed to Afghanistan.
The Senate Armed Services Committee found counterfeit parts -- usually from China -- on at least seven aircraft, including the Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT) C-130J transport plane, Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol and L-3 27J Spartan transport.

“Suspect electronic parts from China were installed on military systems and subsystems that were manufactured by Raytheon Co., L-3 Communications and Boeing,” said a memo from the committee’s staff, released yesterday before a hearing today.

These counterfeit parts could be made of inferior metal & electronics. Or worse the electronic boards could have a trojan device on it making our defense weapons inoperable.

And those of us with older vehicles prolly have inferior counterfeit parts in them making our vehicles less safe.

Oh you know if the counterfeit arts are in our military aircraft; they certainly are in our commercial aircraft also.

Mebbe we should be looking more than just the bottom line. Beause I assure you the Chinese are. They are looking to surpass us in power & commerce by whatever means possible.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement