UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: globalist2013 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Div Stocks vs. Bonds Date: 3/19/2013 6:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Vedran Vuk writes a scathing critique of div stocks. http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/fraud-financial-markets-are... His argument goes like this:

Many pundits are saying that it's pointless to buy a bond at 2% when you get yields on dividend-paying stocks yielding 3%. Their suggestions are a bit disingenuous, because bonds and equities are distinctly different asset classes. If this were an apples-to-apples comparison, 3% definitely is better than 2%. However, instead we're comparing apples to oranges - they're both round fruits, but the similarities don't go much further. Same goes with bonds and equities - they both pay yields, but their risks are very different.

…the way dividend-yielding stocks are often advertised ignores the most likely comparisons in the bond world. A US Treasury paying 2% is not a good benchmark for a 3% dividend-yielding stock. The risks are nothing alike. If we were to make a comparison with a bond, it should be to bonds with market risk. Yes, such a comparison does exist; they're called junk bonds.

If the stock market tanks, a portfolio of junk bonds will go down with it. Essentially, junk bonds have market risk very similar to equities. So here's a novel idea: Since junk bonds and equities have similar risks, why not compare their yields instead of making a comparison to Treasuries? The junk bond fund JNK currently pays almost a 7% yield. That crushes the 3% on the dividend-yielding stock - meaning that the yield on the stock is actually not compensating you for the risk.

I haven’t checked his math, nor what the current-yield on junk bond funds might be. I just know, long ago, I figured out how --on a risk-adjusted basis -- to pull better total money out of the bond market than nearly any stock investor ever achieves for her or himself from div stocks and, often enough, I could also make better absolute total returns than they ever do. The secret isn’t to load up on junk, but to do what Ben Graham says to do "...buy at a sufficient discount to intrinsic-value to create margin of safety." That’s what produces both cap-gains and a decent income-stream that has some downside-protection (that div stocks don’t).

Vuk’s whole article (the second one down on the linked page) is worth reading, as is nearly everything he writes for Casey Research. http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/fraud-financial-markets-are...

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement