Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: quilleute Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120829  
Subject: Diversification conundrum Date: 5/10/2006 5:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
(Cross posted from retirement and ask afoolish question)

Hi, I find myself between a rochk and a hard place regarding what to do with a large holding in a single company and would appreciate hearing boardmembers' input.

BACKGROUND: After 30 years of marriage, I am recently and amicably divorced at age 58 (june). As Part of the settlement, I was awarded 3000 shares of Microsoft stock in a taxable account (inheritance). Except for our stock holdings and the house my wife and had few assets, but essentially no debt. I have $10,000 in a Roth and now have an additional ~$60,000 that plan to invest in a diversified portfolio of (mostly) index funds/ETFs.

Since the divorce, I have carved out time to carefully educate myself on investing (including the 4 pillars, A random walk down wall street . . etc etc.) and would like to diversify that Big Lump(PROBLEM #1) in MSFT

PROBLEM #2 of course is that if I sell large chunks of it I will be hit with a big tax bite (15% tops in my case) that may negate any long term benefit of diversification. Alternatively, I could opt to shed small enough chunks on a yearly basis to hold the CG taxes to 5% but that would stretch out the reinvestment period.

I could also just hang on to the entire 3000 shares, but I recognize that eventually I will need to sell a substantial chunk of it to feed my face (so to speak)and will have to pay the CG taxes anyway, perhaps when I am less able to afford them (my income is modest).

I simply have not been able wrap my brain well enough around the tradeoffs between the options to make a decision regarding the MSFT. I would GREATLY appreciate any input that discussion board Fools can offer, including options that have not occurred to me.

Thanks for your time and input,
Quill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Why Should Berkshire Hathaway Survive?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement