Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a dividend that I collected in January 2012 that was not included on my 1099-DIV form. I finally got the 1099 form as Tradeking uses Apex Clearing. Tradeking/Zecco is again having problems with 1099 forms, and I finally received mine today. A little annoying to have this happen 2 years in row. Anyways, can I somehow report this dividend without it being included on my 1099-DIV form? I just want to get my taxes done and over with already. The amount is somewhat significant at approx. $1000.

My guess is that I am stuck calling Apex Clearing to resolve this matter, and include on corrected 1099-DIV form. As if these folks didn't have enough time to get this straightened out. I use TaxAct if this information is relevant to an answer.

TIA,

Chris
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Anyways, can I somehow report this dividend without it being included on my 1099-DIV form?

Sure. The 1099-DIV doesn't create taxable income, receiving the dividend does. If you know how much to report you don't need a 1099.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have a dividend that I collected in January 2012 that was not included on my 1099-DIV form. I finally got the 1099 form as Tradeking uses Apex Clearing. Tradeking/Zecco is again having problems with 1099 forms, and I finally received mine today. A little annoying to have this happen 2 years in row. Anyways, can I somehow report this dividend without it being included on my 1099-DIV form? I just want to get my taxes done and over with already. The amount is somewhat significant at approx. $1000.

Are you sure the dividend wasn't taxable in 2011? Some dividends received in January are taxable in the previous tax year.

Ira
Are you sure the dividend wasn't taxable in 2011? Some dividends received in January are taxable in the previous tax year.

I looked at my 1099-DIV from 2011 tax year, and it wasn't reported on that form either. I received the one time dividend on 1/3/13. I don't know how to verify which calendar year this one time dividend is meant for. without 1099-DIV confirmation. I assume calendar year 2012 will suffice. Do you have any suggestions other than above for verifying?

I added the dividend that wasn't reported to line 1a, and 1b of Taxact 1099DIV form. That means it will not be consistent with 1099-DIV form sent to IRS by Apex. I will call Apex, and notify them that I reported the dividend they excluded on 2012 1099-DIV tax form. Maybe they can send a corrected form after the fact that I submitted my return.

Thank you both for your help,

Chris
No. of Recommendations: 1
Since you indicate that the dividend was received on January 3 I would be inclined to think is was actually issued the prior year.
You could check with a quote server such as Yahoo Finance that shows dividend dates to see when it was paid.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=T&a=06&b=19&c=20...
"Since you indicate that the dividend was received on January 3 I would be inclined to think is was actually issued the prior year.
You could check with a quote server such as Yahoo Finance that shows dividend dates to see when it was paid."

I called Tradeking, and I was told it was a mistake on Apex's part. They told me they would inform Apex to correct the mistake on 2012 1099 tax form consistent with what I have already filed on my 1040 form.

Many Tradeking customers will likely need corrected 1099 forms from what I was told.

Still debating whether I should just drop that brokerage. I already closed my Roth with Tradeking because they wouldn't drop the $30 yearly maintenance fee. I was told that legacy Tradeking customers and new Tradeking customers only, were allowed maintenance fee free roth accounts.
I even went as far as stating--- Can I just close the account, and open a new one? lol response- no

I opened up an optionshouse account and have been pleased so far. I took advantage of the $100 ACAT and 100 free trades promotions.
To the best of my knowledge, the 1099s I received from Apex Clearing are correct. I suspect that I am in the minority.
I closed them out last year after the 2011 1099 fiasco. But still received a 1099 for the transactions I had in Q1 2012. I believe mine is correct as well... after checking.

I find the best source to determine when dividends are actually paid when in question for year-end/year beginning is the go to the Investors Relations web site of the companies in questions. They have the most accurate info for payable date. Then report it accordingly.
Advertisement