UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dond261 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8770  
Subject: Re: CEFs For Portfolio? Date: 3/11/2008 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dividend payers work great for long term buy and hold/reinvest the dividends. Read the dividend investing articles on TMF.

Drip investing is a great low cost way to go as DesertDave points out.
It does involve a little more effort than working through a broker and you will have to keep track of each investment yourself.

I'm too lazy for that so I have all mine at Fidelity. I usually buy once per stock(single commision) and then reinvest the dividends. Fidelity has a no cost reinvestment program on almost all stocks; either from the stock or their own psuedo Drip program. I only know 1 stock that does not participate. The advantage is one spot tracking of all your stocks, monthly and year end consolidated statements. I don't know what other brokers offer but are probably comparable.

Many of these investments do have good capital appreciation also since dividend payers seem to have come back in favor.

I buy fairly high yield stocks, reits, royalty trusts(including CanRoys),and MLP's with the intent to live on the income and preserve the principal when my wife finally retires.

Don
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Motley Fool Income Investor
Are you a dividend-savvy investor? Check out our Income Investor newsletter.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement