UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MizShepherdist Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27821  
Subject: Dividend Payment Less 1 Date: 9/30/2011 7:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, fellow Fools!

I recently rolled my Roth IRA into Scottrade, and received my first dividend payment in this account on a new holding. I bought 20 shares of VGR, yet it shows 21 shares in my account holdings. The account history from yesterday's dividend payment shows:

Vector Group LTD Dividend on 20 shares of VGR @ .40000 $8.00
Stock Dividend of 1 Share of VGR $0.00

None of my other stocks show a plus one, all are accounted for by what I've owned/bought. However, I haven't received any dividend payments yet.

My home page shows that plus 1 stock as part of the regular positions, accounted for in my market holdings.

Does anyone know what's going on with this strange-looking accounting? Will that extra share of VGR disappear later (especially if I call and ask about it)?

Thanks in advance!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dfish Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27711 of 27821
Subject: Re: Dividend Payment Less 1 Date: 9/30/2011 11:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You've stumbled unto a quirk of VGR. The company pays an annual stock dividend of 5% (in addition to its cash dividend) and that just happens to be 1/20 as a fraction, so every 20 shares earned a new single share.

Author: MizShepherdist Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27712 of 27821
Subject: Re: Dividend Payment Less 1 Date: 9/30/2011 11:48 PM
Recommendations: 0
Cool!

Thanks, dfish!

Miz

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement