UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TexasCoffee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 265852  
Subject: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/1/2012 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I own 70 or so stocks with two things in common; one, they are all bought in fairly equal quantities, and two, they are all dividend stocks.

I'm interested in reducing the time it takes to check each stock often in order to check their dividend status. I know when stocks are going to oay dividends and how much, but I don't understand the process for announcing when a stock decides to go to ex-dividend status.

My question is twofold; is there a website that consolidates dividend status, particularly going to ex-dovodend status, and further are these dividend stock companies required to announce their soon-to-be ex-dividend status within a certain time frame in advance.

Thanks in advance for hopefully speeding the process for checking each of these companies on a regular basis.

Jay in Dallas
Print the post Back To Top
Author: philippalmer Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259376 of 265852
Subject: Re: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/1/2012 12:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
So, to be clear, you know that the ex-dividend date is the first day after the record date. Ex-dividend means that is the first day a purchaser of the stock would not be eligible for the dividend payment. The record date meaning all shareholders of record, this date, will receive the announced dividend.
With my dividend stocks, all with set up DRIP through my broker, I check randomly through yahoo or google finance, and sometimes Morningstar. I realize that with 70 that could become cumbersome. I do not know of one specific site that would allow this type of search specifically...sorry.

Phil

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259378 of 265852
Subject: Re: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/1/2012 1:28 PM
Excuse me Phil, but I believe the ex-dividend date is three days prior to the record date. That is because if you trade a stock today, the settlement date is the third business day. On settlement date, the buyer becomes owner of record. Hence, you must buy three days before the record date or before to get the dividend.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259379 of 265852
Subject: Re: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/1/2012 1:40 PM
Jay, on ex-dividend date, the dividend and the record date is completely up to the board of directors. They are free to change either at any time. As a practical matter, few make changes. Hence, usually dividends are paid like clockwork on essentially the same date each quarter (or month if appropriate).

Hence, if you list all 70 stocks in a spreadsheet program and record their last ex-dividend date and payment date, add 90 days to each and you can easily estimate when the next payment is due. Plus using the sort feature, you can easily set up a calendar for when the next payment is due, in what order from where.

If the stocks are held in a brokerage account, it is easy enough to check them off on each statement and see if the estimated date is correct, has changed, or needs adjustment.

The best source of when paid information is the news release of the company announcing the dividend--usually found on the shareholder information page on the company website. Barrons used to publish dividend and x date info every week. I don't know if they still do, but I would presume one of the Dow Jones web pages will have the information.

Author: Quillnpenn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 259380 of 265852
Subject: Re: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/1/2012 1:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-dividend_date
re: http://www.sec.gov/answers/dividen.htm
re: http://seekingalpha.com/article/765801-how-ex-dividend-dates...

Cawfee,

Let's peruse the following and review the ex-div's as well as the Special Dividend Dates.

http://www.dividendinvestor.com/historical.php?no=20712
http://www.dividendinvestor.com/historical.php?no=30202

http://www.dividendinvestor.com/ just enter the ticker symbol and then kruz down to where it says Dividends paid since (blue tab).

or

http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/financial/reit-retai... again just enter the ticker symbol at the top line.

http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/basic-materials/oil-...

Note !

A dividend-paying stock's ex-dividend date is very important to investors. In a nutshell, if you buy a dividend stock before the ex-dividend date, then you will receive the next upcoming dividend payment. If you purchase the stock on or after the ex-dividend date, you will not receive the dividend.

The converse of this rule also holds true -- if you sell a stock before the ex-dividend date, you will not receive the dividend, but if you sell on or after the ex-dividend date, you will.

Note !

Special Dividend Dates:

Had to have owned the stock before the "DIV RECORDING DATE". Not on, but before, in order to receive the Special Dividend check.

And finally, at your leisure check the news events on yahoo for each stock for announcements of there divided dates et.,al.

Hope this can be some assistance

Quillnpenn - a poor church mouse scratching for a living.

Author: TexasCoffee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 262821 of 265852
Subject: Re: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/13/2013 11:17 AM
Thank you, Phil. Since I have posted I've come to my senses about owning so many stocks so I've reduced them to 25 and now am exposed to no more than 4% of the portfolio. This may fluctuate over time but I have a much clearer handle on my situation. I appreciate your feedback.
Jay

Author: TexasCoffee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 262822 of 265852
Subject: Re: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/13/2013 11:19 AM
Thank you, Paulecker. I appreciate the feedback.

Author: TexasCoffee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 262824 of 265852
Subject: Re: Dividend To Ex-Dividend Status Date: 10/13/2013 11:23 AM
A very useful post, Quilnpenn. I appreciate the referral. I can use this tool easily. As I mentioned before since my initial post I've reduced my 70 stocks to 25 to make them more manageable.

I'm posting a Bucket List inquiry elsewhere and if you are into asset allocation, I'd appreciate any comments you have there.

Thanks,

Jay

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement