Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Divorce and Quarterly Taxes Date: 7/8/2000 11:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been working as a contract worker for the school system so I've had to pay quarterly taxes. However, my husband and I, who have been filing jointly during our marriage and have been paying these quarterly taxes on my income jointly as well, are divorcing. So, I have several questions pertaining to this situation:

1) The divorce will not be final until at least October 1. Can we file jointly for the tax year 2000 or must we file individually?

2) If we file individually, how do I get credit for taxes paid on the monies I earned so far this year so that I'm not faced with the IRS asking me to pay taxes on those earnings again (and the ex getting tax credit for the entire amount)?

3) I will be a regular employee with taxes being withheld beginning August 2, 2000. What do I do about the quarterly taxes for earnings during the months of June, July, & August which, since school is out for the summer, is less than $2000? Do I have to pay the regularly scheduled quarterly amount or can I roll this into my earnings at the end of the year? If I have to make the quarterly payment, how do I make sure that gets credited to me? What about the quarterly amount due for Oct, Nov, & Dec, when I will be having taxes deducted from my paycheck?

4) Is there any tax liability that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help.

regards, redhed
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement