UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: emmkaye Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Divorce and the Single Roth IRA Date: 3/4/2000 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am finally free of 185 lbs of dead weight and find myself with a simple IRA that I think needs to move over to a Roth. I've had an IRA for 3 years and have already made my contribution for 2000. Filing married/separate precluded my rolling over before now. I'm in the military and my AGI is $30,000 or less (depending upon which hostile, tax-free area I'm sent to for deployments). What is the best way to do this? Additionally, I'm interested in investing using the "Foolish four." Can I use my current bank's IRA services or find another when I begin investing? Can I roll over a simple from one institution to another institution's Roth?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19802 of 75381
Subject: Re: Divorce and the Single Roth IRA Date: 3/4/2000 5:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Emmkaye, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I am finally free of 185 lbs of dead weight and find myself with a simple IRA that I think needs to move over to a Roth. I've had an IRA for 3 years and have already made my contribution for 2000. Filing married/separate precluded my rolling over before now. I'm in the military and my AGI is $30,000 or less (depending upon which hostile, tax-free area I'm sent to for deployments). What is the best way to do this? Additionally, I'm interested in investing using the "Foolish four." Can I use my current bank's IRA services or find another when I begin investing? Can I roll over a simple from one institution to another institution's Roth?>>

If and only if you have participated in the SIMPLE-IRA for at least two years can it be moved to a Roth. Prior to that time, you may only transfer the money to another SIMPLE. Do otherwise, and you must pay a 25% penalty plus income taxes on the amount transferred. If you meet the two years, then any broker can help you transfer the money to a self-directed Roth IRA within which you may trade stocks like the Foolish Four. Your bank is not a broker, so that's probably not a good place to put your money. Some have relationships with brokers, but that would cost you more than choosing one on your own. And yes, you may do a custodian-to-custodian transfer at any time.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement