Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My divorce decree states that my x-husband gets to claim 2 children as a tax deduction for even years and 1 child on the odd years. He has never taken any of the children as tax deductions until last tax year. Consequently, I have taken all 3 children as deductions historically. I did not know he took 2 of the children last year until I received a letter from the IRS stating there was a duplicate return on 2 social security numbers. I called my tax person who told me he can not claim any of the children unless I sign the IRS form relinquishing the children or child to him. I called the IRS and told them that I had not relinquished the children and he was not justified in taking them. I received a phone call in Feb from my x-husband informing me he was going to take 1 child as a deduction. I had already filed my taxes and having not been informed by him in a timely fashion, I took all 3 children as deductions. He stated he was entitled to take 1 according to the divorce decree and we would just have to see what happened. What should I do now?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.