No. of Recommendations: 0
Divorces can result in unpleasant events being reported on your credit history. Once on your credit report they will stay for 7 to 10 years (depending on the type). Since most accounts are closed during a divorce there is no option to keep the accounts open to more quickly age out late payments.

Since cash is not an issue, short term you can acquire a secured credit card. It will probably have an annual fee but it is an easy way for you to restablish your credit. After a couple of years, it should be possible to switch to an unsecured account.

Since you were turned down for credit, you are owed free a credit report.


Print the post  


UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.