Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: DIY & LBYM dog coat ideas Date: 12/20/2011 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This has been cross-posted to the Pet Lovers boards, but I am hopeful someone on this board can give me some tips.

I am hopeful to complete this *TONIGHT*, but will be ready and eager for tips for another one to make at my leisure. I want to make a layered coat (two layers), to maximize warmth based on stuff I have on hand at home.

First and most important question: How do I layer a coat to make it warmest for a dog? I have two things I plan to use: A thin 34" x 49.5" blue, polar fleece blanket and a thin 29" x 33" pink thermal blanket. The thermal blanket is a cotton, weave texture like in this picture:
http://www.c-o-t-t-o-n-blanket.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/0...

Second consideration: Best way to create fasteners or ties on short notice (pending adjustments at a later date), without having buttons or fasteners on short notice? (I don't have ribbons to make ties, but am thinking about using cotton rope, forming large knots, and button-holes to tie together.)

One of the dogs I walk is very sensitive to the cold and the local temperatures lately have been in the range of high 20's to low 40's temps in the several days. Since I am on a tight budget and have excess textiles (old clothing and stuff) at home, I want to improvise some sort of warm, winter coat for the dog. I have been looking online for ideas to create one and have posted some background at the bottom of this post.

Other details:
- I have very little actual sewing experience. My limited knowledge comes from memories of watching others working on sewing projects from my childhood. My actual experience is limited to sewing loose buttons, sloppy and coarse hemming, small, odd repair things, and recently altering a pair of XL discount store men's polyester pants to fit me (wanted a very comfortable and easy care pants for dirty work and errands). I have never made a sewing pattern, or designed anything from scratch. My projects have been functional, if not pretty nor sophisticated.

- I do not have a sewing machine. This will be done by hand with some simple sewing needles, thread, and household scissors. No, I don't have pattern paper or related, will be printing up the internet patterns or styles from the internet (see below links) and modifying to the best of my ability.

- The dog is a 14-lbs. long-haired dachschund. This breed has long torsos and short legs. My friends have told me that store-bought clothes fit them very poorly (too short for the body, or if they buy long enough, it is too baggy going around the torso).

- I plan to make a second, better designed and made coat over the next week so I have two on hand (one to use immediately, the second to have and repair), but the dog needs something to wear immediately.

- I will not use a tight stitching pattern deliberately as I am sure I will unravel and repair in the near future. I anticipate that this will look like a really bad, odd, patch job, but it will be clearly homemade and I am going to enjoy the idea of having an article clothing, even if it is barely fit for a dog.

Thank you!

Lois Carmen D.

---------------------
Below are some website articles I am reading and referring to.

Fleece dog sweater. (with sewing pattern)
http://www.barlowscientific.com/technotes/home/sweater.htm
My thoughts: I like this general pattern and that it uses fleece.

Make a Quick No Sew Sweater for a Chihuahua Puppy or Small Dog - Tutorial.
http://sewdelish.blogspot.com/2009/04/sew-quick-no-sew-sweat...
My thoughts: A fun-looking and quick idea for future possibilities, but I don't have anything available (anything suitable I am wearing now, for myself this winter).

This little piggy stays warm. (Lovely quilted jacket.)
http://prettylittlethings.typepad.com/lori_marie/2008/02/thi...
My thoughts: Just love this, very pretty, I hope to make a coat like this as a longer-term project at some point.

---------------------
Articles about how to layer for warmth.

How A Thermal Blanket Works To Keep The Body Heat?
http://www.c-o-t-t-o-n-blanket.com/thermal-blanket/

http://ask.metafilter.com/53548/Are-layers-really-warmer
My thoughts: This is for people (no fur); dogs have fur and I wonder about the relevance of some moisture-wicking, insulation and general layering tips.

Excerpted from this link:
Layer are better because you can do different things with them. Layer next to skin designed to wick away moisture (eg merino underwear)
Mid-layer to trap air, as insulation (eg Polartec fleece)
Outer layer to stop wind and water but allow water vapour to pass through on the way out (eg Goretex).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement