UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: anoury Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 311  
Subject: DMV story(long-venting) Date: 4/26/2001 1:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am a Rhode Islander...born and raised and living in California, but damned if I could escape the clutches of the worst DMV system in the state.

After standing in line for an hour to get my brand new CA driver's license I was told that the state of RI has a flag on my license...in other words, I am not eligible to get a new license until I clear up whatever it is in RI.

Ok, cool. They gave me the # and told me to give them a call.

The following day, I call and the number is wrong. So after browsing the net looking up their site I get an info line # to call. Cool.

I call...and call...and call...and can't get through as the line is ALWAYS busy. I try calling the next day and finally get someone on the line who informs me that I have a parking ticket outstanding from 1996 and owe them $45 and didn't I get the summons sent out last July? I explained to her that I haven't lived in the state for 2 1/2 yrs and no, I certainly did not receive a summons and why is it just popping up now after 5 years? She said they were a little slow processing tickets. (HA! a little????) Anyways, I was to send a check for $45 and they would send a release to Operator Control (OC)in Pawtucket and I'd have to send them $75 to have them reinstate my license. I then call OC to verify this is exactly what I need to do to clear this up. Christine at OC confirms this and says that when they get the money and the release, she will send a letter out so I can get my new license. That day I send 2 checks out...1 to RITT and 1 to OC.

3 weeks go by and I don't receive anything in the mail. So I call OC and ask them about it and they claim they sent the release 10 days ago. I call OC back and relay this message and I'm told to have them send another release. So, I call RITT and relay THAT message and they told me they would fax it over. Then I call OC back again and tell the girl that they are faxing it now. She tells me that the fax is down and to call them back AGAIN and have it sent by interoffice mail. So that's what I do. Mind you, I'm calling from CALIFORNIA doing all of this. I call OC back and tell her they will send the release via interoffice mail and she tells me I should get my letter in a few days.

Fine.

Another week and a half passes and I receive NOTHING! I call OC and the same girl tells me that I now have another ticket flagged. She gives me a account # and tells me to call RITT. I call RITT and I am told that I have another parking ticket also in the amount of $45 also dating back to 1996.

By now I am so upset and furious I can barely talk. Grrrrrr....

So I have to cough up another 45 bucks for another ticket that somehow, with ALL the calls I've made, noone seems to catch it. I call OC back and tell them that they should be getting the release in a few days. The girl then informs me that I am going to have to send another &75 check because she sent it back...their policy is to return checks that haven't been proccessed in 3 weeks. I asked her when she sent it back, and she says a week ago. I tell her that I haven't received my check back and she tells me to wait a couple more days.

Grrrrrr....

So I wait, no check returned. I call OC back up again and she insists that she sent it back but if I haven't gotten it...to just put a stop on it. I am furious again! It costs $20 to stop a check...and this chick is like...whatever.

Grrrrr....

Well...we've gone around and around since the beginning of February...it is now then end of April and still this matter is not resolved. They are lucky I am 3000 miles away!!!!!

So I've sent in the other $45 and am now waiting to confirm with OC that they have the release before I send ANOTHER $75 check. It's been almost 2 more weeks since I've done that and still they don't have anything.

...and I didn't even get into the hand ups, disconnections while on hold and the rudeness of some of these people!!!!

Tomorrow starts round 4. Wish me luck.

-Angela
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement