Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, it never fails.  I filed my tax returns last 
week, and today I find a corrected form 1099-DIV in my 
mailbox.  The difference between the original and 
corrected 1099-DIV is as follows:

Form      Div   STCapGain  Tot_LTCapGain  20%LTCapGain
old       N/A    $0.36        $3.17           $2.09
corected  N/A    $0.67        $2.86           $2.09

All values are per share.  As you can see, what they 
did was add $0.31 to short term capital gains and 
subtract $0.31 from ordinary (not special rate) long 
term capital gains.  The % tax that I pay on short term 
and ordinary long term capital gains is the same, so 
this correction does not change the tax that I owe.  
The only thing that I can think of that this changes is 
all of the math that I did on Schedule D (as well as 
the types of gains reported).  If the changes made to 
1099-DIV does not change my tax, do I need to file Form 
1040X?  The actual dollar amount of change is fairly 
small and I don't want to file an amended return if I 
don't have to.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.