No. of Recommendations: 2
Do I think this is the perfect plan? No. Do I think it's 'good enough'? Well, I'm always open to better ideas, but my criteria for changing includes that the change has to make kitchen-table logic sense as well as mathematical logic sense.

Regards,
-Chuck
Inside Value Home Fool

A bond ladder will indeed give protection from market crashes. What it doesn't do is protect against the incessant inflation we have experienced during most of my long life. If your bond to be cashed in the seventh year will only buy half of what you need/want, you have lost buying power.

I stay fully invested in a motley collection of Mutual Funds. So far that has been a Good Thing. Besides, I an sure anyone on The Motley Fool should approve of a motley collection of mutual funds, no? Our funds are mostly with American Funds, with a bit in some Vanguard funds that have exposure not available in American, such as real estate. Yes, American is front loaded, but we are well past the threshold to have no front load. American has a sizable exposure to foreign companies, which I could not begin to duplicate on my own.

CNC
... Our motley collection includes income, growth, foreign growth and income, etc.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement