UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886558  
Subject: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 3:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://i.imgur.com/SwphYVE.jpg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872566 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 7:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't think so.....that looks to me like an expensive bit of pimping!

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872567 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 9:17 AM
Recommendations: 25
Is there a reason you need to keep re-posting imgur photos to this site? It doesn't seem like you're looking for a discussion on individual photos, since all you post is a link. And we can each certainly visit imgur on our own if we want to view the photos - so why constantly re-post them here?

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872568 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 9:34 AM
Recommendations: 4
Well, I cannot speak for him, but I do enjoy the posts of the pics.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872569 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 10:09 AM
Recommendations: 6
Is there a reason you need to keep re-posting imgur photos to this site? It doesn't seem like you're looking for a discussion on individual photos, since all you post is a link. And we can each certainly visit imgur on our own if we want to view the photos - so why constantly re-post them here?

It's because he needs the attention and this is one of the most followed boards. The posts would be perfect for a social board where you can post stuff that you find interesting. He's probably afraid no one would follow his social board if he opened one.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872570 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 10:12 AM
If I were posting photos about DIY auto repair, I'd find the following post more amusing.
http://ehssafetynews.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/20121127-20...

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872571 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 10:13 AM
Recommendations: 3
Well, I cannot speak for him, but I do enjoy the posts of the pics.

I enjoy imgur for the occational brain-break during the day - but I do so by going straight to the site, instead of cluttering up a message board on another site.

Author: crackdclaw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872573 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 11:43 AM
Is there a reason you need to keep re-posting imgur photos to this site?

There's something to learn from everyone who posts on TMF.

Speaking only for myself, I have learned many things from posts on the boards from people who are retired. One lesson is make sure I stay physically active and enjoy outside activities. Another is to maintain old friendships and continue to build new ones thru hobbies or activities. When I'm done accumulating assets, quit working, and no longer have to log in to my laptop daily, should you find me making a dozen posts daily to the fool, please put a gun next to my head and shoot me.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872574 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 11:46 AM
When I'm done accumulating assets, quit working, and no longer have to log in to my laptop daily, should you find me making a dozen posts daily to the fool, please put a gun next to my head and shoot me.

Kin I have yer stuff?

PSU

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872577 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 12:13 PM

Author: Levka98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872589 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 3:31 PM
Recommendations: 8
Most of y'all are mean spirited. The original poster comes from a place of good intent. I enjoy the humor in his posts.

Regards,

Levka.

Author: TMFinept Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872621 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 7:23 PM
MetroChick,

It's interesting that you use imgur the way that you do because that's not, strictly speaking, the way it was initially intended to be used. imgur was created by popular Reddit user MrGrim as a service that could anonymously host images for linking on sharing/aggregating sites like Reddit, not as a sharing site in and of itself. Think of it as a public Dropbox for pictures. You don't go to Dropbox to find things, you go to the things on Dropbox that people link you to.

imgur's popularity has seen it expand to somewhat suit the purpose for which you use it, but even in this role, the images that it elects to show you are determined by the popularity that they achieve on other sites that link to them directly.

The actual intended usage of imgur is substantially as in the original post here. The Fool's boards aren't an ideal place for it, but that's actually how it was meant to work.

Author: iborg Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872625 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 8:43 PM
________
Exactly! The photo put a smile on my face. What's wrong with that?

Hallelujah, Brooklyn!
There's everything right, about putting a smile on one's face, indeed.

I haven't known this Board long. So don't understand certain nuances and personal pet peeves [aka, personal attacks at a poster]....

But to say that I L'dOL at the Toaster pic is an understatement. And the "things you can't do if you're not a dog"...Very Funny!

Is this Board really [as acclaimed] one of the most visited? [Truly, I thot I was here to get away from the mainstream... .]

MetroChick got 15! (...uh-oh, now 18!) recs for (basically) telling desertdave to hush. [...he did offer practical advice for getting rid of roaches...] And like I said, I don't know the history of this Board, but it still seems less than fair. [from me, the newbie-to-this-Board, who doesn't have "history" to inject, and simply enjoyed (desertdave's) comic relief.] ["The photo put a smile on my face. What's wrong with that?"]

We learn that, "diamonds aren't forever",
that "Diamonds are for the shallow and the stupid..."
and PSU says, "Well, SUVs can't be too far behind" (Diamonds...being forever...)

Too bad we can't pee like other animals. ?

I hear there are websites for that kind of thing.

And for those of us who want to pee like other animals, we're asked that when we do, please post so all can view.

I'm pretty sure the "territory" he wanted to mark wasn't a fire hydrant.

Well, I'm pretty sure the "territory" wouldn't appreciate being marked.

Nothing negative here; just a basic positive comment on the eccentricity of this Board.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872628 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/22/2013 9:33 PM
And like I said, I don't know the history of this Board, but it still seems less than fair. [from me, the newbie-to-this-Board, who doesn't have "history" to inject, and simply enjoyed (desertdave's) comic relief.] ["The photo put a smile on my face. What's wrong with that?"]

Well, I was here from the first day the board was opened. Before it was opened, money saving tips were being posted on the credit card board. It was overwhelming that board so this place was created. Over the years, social boards were created where posters could open their own board and share whatever comes to their mind (within Fool rules). This is a topic board. It's purpose is to share money-saving tips. The occasional OT post is okay. The problem with desertdave is that he posts more than the occasional OT post. He has his own board TEOTWAWKI. I don't know why he doesn't just confine his OT posts to his own board. As I said earlier, I think he just wants the attention. He'll post OT on METAR, another highly viewed board. The attention seeking trend is obvious.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872638 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 3:17 AM
MetroChick & PSUEngineer
Please put me on your ignore list or stop whining.

Thanks,
Desert (The world's greatest excuse pales in the face of mediocre performance.) Dave
-- (Quotation, with attribution, permitted and encouraged.)

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872639 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 3:38 AM
Recommendations: 5
Actually, I spend an hour or two winding down before bed on imgur/reddit garnering the few photos I find suitable for the LBYM board so just telling y'all to go there and peruse wouldn't be very helpful since there are hundreds to go through.

Aside from the occasional rec I don't get much attention from posting here. Oh! Except from you two.

If y'all paid attention you'd know I do most of my posting over at METAR, have lots of "followers" and recs so you're wrong again. PSU seems to be distraught that I don't respect him as a person. To bad. I don't know why MC is upset seeing as how it's so easy to not click on a post you don't want to read.

Most Frequent Board Macro Economic Trends and Risks
http://my.fool.com/profile/desertdaveataol/activity.aspx

Desert (still amazed at the lengths some people will go to in order to be annoyed) Dave

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872644 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 9:03 AM
Recommendations: 5
Nothing negative here; just a basic positive comment on the eccentricity of this Board.

I agree with you. I realized that on a lot of boards there is a "mutual admiration society" meaning people who have been posting for years get a pass on much of what they say and "newbies" don't.
I once posted something that one of the regulars didn't think was LBYM and was told to post elsewhere. I was truly offended after having witnessed so much on this board that is off-topic.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872645 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 9:40 AM
Recommendations: 7
MetroChick & PSUEngineer

You've asked multiple times. The answer is the same - no. I will continue to comment. Stop whining about me asking you to ignore your OT posts. Why don't you share your posts with your close friends at TEOTWAWKI. I'm guessing you don't want to annoy them. Then why do it here.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872646 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 9:42 AM
If y'all paid attention you'd know I do most of my posting over at METAR, have lots of "followers" and recs so you're wrong again.

So there it is - proof that you post for followers and recs. Someday you'll grow up and realize recs are not that important.

PSU

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872647 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 9:52 AM
Recommendations: 1
Not speaking for anyone else, but I get more than enough of this kind of thing in my Facebook feed.

It's not what I come to the Fool for.

Ishtar

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872650 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 11:31 AM
Recommendations: 27
Ok, I was a little flippant earlier because I was in a hurry.

I used to enjoy your posts on the SE board. I loved your stories about building your business, taking care of your customers and suppliers and how the guy that bought the business from you didn't maintain your level of responsibility and didn't do as well as you did.

That was relevant, interesting, even amusing.

We've had good conversations on the MA board in the past (C has her 2nd dan, now, btw!)

But, when I want pictures, I go to sites that have pictures:
Facebook, Pinterest, ICanHazCheezburger, etc. I see literally hundreds of these a day from those sites. Almost all the ones you link to, I've seen before in one of those places.

It's NOT what I come here for.

The Fool does not allow us to embed pics. It's set up more for conversation - words.

Occasionally, someone posts a link to a pic, often within the context of a conversation or with a brief description of why they are sending people there.

This happens more often on social boards than on the financial topic boards. If someone posts a link to say, Jesus and Mo comic strip on the Atheist Fools board, no one cares.

I think maybe people wouldn't get so upset if you maybe put them all in one post.

"Hey, here's your funny LBYM pics for the day!" and then put your one-line zingers as a descriptor before each link.

You've been here long enough to remember the days when LBYM was so busy a person couldn't keep up with the posts.

Now, it's almost a wasteland.

When I see 15 unread messages now, I get excited, "Ooooo, maybe someone has started up a new controversy (or maybe dug up one of the old ones)" [one million dollar SAHM thread, anyone?]

And then to realize that many of them are from you, and they are just links to pics I'm not going to link on is pretty much a let-down.

I don't WANT to pbox you, at least in part because of the aforementioned interesting, relevant, amusing posts you used to do. I know you're capable of it.

And in general, I don't like to pbox anyone.

Sometimes people like telegraph or MadCapitalist or KahunaCFA will temporarily make it in there when I just can't take their stuff anymore, but then I feel like I'm missing part of the convo, and end up taking them out again.

But you aren't adding to the conversation, or even really starting one.

If you really spend hours a night digging up pics (WTF, really? maybe you need a new business to keep you busy?) for here, put 'em all in ONE easy to ignore post. That way, your audience gets to see them, and the rest of us can get back to talking about food stamps, SUVs and stay at home parents.

Ishtar

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872652 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 11:51 AM
When I see 15 unread messages now, I get excited, "Ooooo, maybe someone has started up a new controversy (or maybe dug up one of the old ones)" [one million dollar SAHM thread, anyone?]

Since you asked so nicely...

cm,
remembers when "whole thread" on the million dollar SAHM thread would crash the computer

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872654 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 12:03 PM
remembers when "whole thread" on the million dollar SAHM thread would crash the computer

Yeah.

Is that one of the threads that disappeared when TMF decided to try to eliminate the bots crawling long threads? I'm sure it is, since a lot of the other long threads disappeared.

Ishtar

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872663 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 1:07 PM
MetroChick & PSUEngineer

You've asked multiple times. The answer is the same - no.

Then I shall consider your whining to be a form of self-therapy and ignore it unless I can come up with a good/funny retort.

Desert (The world's greatest excuse pales in the face of mediocre performance.) Dave

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872666 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 1:21 PM
If y'all paid attention you'd know I do most of my posting over at METAR, have lots of "followers" and recs so you're wrong again.

So there it is - proof that you post for followers and recs. Someday you'll grow up and realize recs are not that important.

It was you who brought up the subjects of recs & followers I just looked it up and reported back to you.

Speaking of growing up, your resentment to someone else getting recs seems childish.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872668 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 1:26 PM
Not speaking for anyone else, but I get more than enough of this kind of thing in my Facebook feed.

It's not what I come to the Fool for.

Thank you, Ishtar, I try to ignore the ankle bitters, but sometimes ya' gott'a scratch.

Now, let's get back to enjoying the board and ignore the playground politics.

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872672 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 1:46 PM
I like the photos, they lighten the mood.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872673 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 1:52 PM
There's always the Retired Fools board -

http://boards.fool.com/retired-fools-112955.aspx

for people who think it's great and have plenty of time and want to use it posting and clicking on posts made up of a link.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872687 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/23/2013 3:50 PM
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Ok, I was a little flippant earlier because I was in a hurry.

I used to enjoy your posts on the SE board. I loved your stories about building your business, taking care of your customers and suppliers and how the guy that bought the business from you didn't maintain your level of responsibility and didn't do as well as you did.

Actually that was another guy. The couple who bought our surplus store from us are doing just fine business wise, but the husband died of a heart attack. Their sons are more or less running it now and doing fine.

If someone posts a link to say, Jesus and Mo comic strip on the Atheist Fools board, no one cares.

Tried them - OK, but not for me.

You've been here long enough to remember the days when LBYM was so busy a person couldn't keep up with the posts.

Now, it's almost a wasteland.

Silly me, I thought I was helping with that.

When I see 15 unread messages now, I get excited, "Ooooo, maybe someone has started up a new controversy (or maybe dug up one of the old ones)"

And this isn't a controversy?

Actually, I spent an hour there looking for something worthy of LBYM this morning and didn't find much. But thanks for the tips on the other photo boards.

I'll leave y'all to all those other fascinating stimulating conversations while I check out those other photo boards.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872709 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/24/2013 12:13 AM

I don't know if you are having any computer problems but a three post thread in whole thread will crash my computer. It all happened about two weeks ago when TMF tweaked their software.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872710 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/24/2013 12:17 AM
Speaking of growing up, your resentment to someone else getting recs seems childish.

What resentment? Now you're just making up stuff.

PSU

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872734 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/24/2013 2:53 PM
"PSU seems to be distraught that I don't respect him as a person."

I doubt that very much.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872735 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/24/2013 3:26 PM

What resentment? Now you're just making up stuff.

Says the poster with the forked tongue.

I'll let you have the last word, I've more grownup things to do.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872741 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/24/2013 5:19 PM
Says the poster with the forked tongue.

Now you're calling me a liar. Nice. If you review the thread, you will see that the first person ever to mention recs was iborg. I never used the word "recs" in any of my posts until you first brought up the subject in this post where you brag about the recs you get at METAR.
http://boards.fool.com/actually-i-spend-an-hour-or-two-windi...

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to admit to your dishonesty. Your lack of followup will be proof enough.

PSU

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872981 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/31/2013 8:05 PM
I also enjoy the posts of the pics. There's nothing like a little humor.

Donna

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872982 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 3/31/2013 8:16 PM
iborg, thank you for your comments, and welcome to the Board. Like you, I appreciate desertdave's humor and hope he keeps it up.

Donna (who loves laughing)

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873031 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 4/3/2013 4:24 PM
Thank you, Ishtar, I try to ignore the ankle bitters, but sometimes ya' gott'a scratch.

You asked them to pbox you, presumably so they won't see your posts and you won't have to see them pointing out - more politely than I might - what a tardopoly you have around here.

So my question is this: Why don't you just pbox them on your end so you don't have to see the backlash?

xtn

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873033 of 886558
Subject: Re: Do It Yourself Auto Repair Date: 4/3/2013 5:53 PM
So my question is this: Why don't you just pbox them on your end so you don't have to see the backlash?

Everybody has a right to their opinion -- even if they are wrong ;-)

Tempted as I have been on occasion, I've yet to Pbox anybody on TMF.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement