UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: knight427 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14985  
Subject: Do they really need a w9? Date: 12/12/2012 11:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been consulting for about 8 years now. Sending clients a w9 has been standard. I just expanded my consulting business to include selling a computer modeling program. I just made my first sale and the customer is requesting a w9 so they can send out a 1099 at the end of the year. I'm confused because I assumed when you sell a product rather than a service, you aren't receiving income. I mean, I didn't ask HP for a w9 and send them a 1099 after buying my laptop. Of course I will report my profits on sales as income on my tax return, but I guess I am looking for confirmation that my software customers don't need a w9 from me.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14703 of 14985
Subject: Re: Do they really need a w9? Date: 12/13/2012 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I have been consulting for about 8 years now. Sending clients a w9 has been standard. I just expanded my consulting business to include selling a computer modeling program. I just made my first sale and the customer is requesting a w9 so they can send out a 1099 at the end of the year. I'm confused because I assumed when you sell a product rather than a service, you aren't receiving income. I mean, I didn't ask HP for a w9 and send them a 1099 after buying my laptop. Of course I will report my profits on sales as income on my tax return, but I guess I am looking for confirmation that my software customers don't need a w9 from me.

Different places handle accounting differently, I guess.

Our accounting department asks for a W9 from ANYONE they send money to. It's a firm policy.

I can't get a check for ANY vendor without one.

MOI

Author: knight427 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14704 of 14985
Subject: Re: Do they really need a w9? Date: 12/14/2012 2:01 AM
It can't be policy for everyone, they certainly aren't going to expect Dell or HP to send them a w9 when they buy computers. So they must have a way to account for that. I guess it doesn't hurt me in any way though, right?

Also, I need to figure out taxes and customs associated with selling this software to Canada. Anyone here have experience selling online to Canada?

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14705 of 14985
Subject: Re: Do they really need a w9? Date: 12/14/2012 3:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
It can't be policy for everyone, they certainly aren't going to expect Dell or HP to send them a w9 when they buy computers.

I'm not so sure about that. It probably depends on the state. Our main office is in New York.

MOI

Author: knight427 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14706 of 14985
Subject: Re: Do they really need a w9? Date: 12/14/2012 10:41 PM
I sent them an email ans it turns out they don't need a w9. The accounts manager thought I was subcontracting for them.

But I'm still looking for help with selling to Canada. Anyone?

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14708 of 14985
Subject: Re: Do they really need a w9? Date: 12/16/2012 2:13 AM
Recommendations: 2
Knight:

Check out the Canada General board http://boards.fool.com/canada-general-100170.aspx?mid=304130... and ask there.

MichaelR

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement