Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30647  
Subject: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 1:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Salad dressing as a carb? I just ate lunch with another low-carber here, and she doens't count the dressing she throws on her salad, but I do. After that, I didn't even want to ask her what she thought about the crutons she put on hers.

I also make sure and include anything I drink in my carb count, like the Pepsi I am enjoying right now. And, if I eat a large amount of BBQ meat or beans, I throw in one carb count for that meal, too, since the BBQ sauce has to count for something. I don't count veggies, but I know that some people do...

Thoughts?

impolite
up to 2 icky carbs today...conserving the remaining 2 for pasta! tonight
Print the post Back To Top
Author: concordiax Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3572 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 1:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Wouldn't it depend on the actual carbohydrate content of your salad dressing? Unless you're being very strict-- like Atkins-strict-- about your carb counting, I wouldn't think that salad dressing would count as a serving of carbohydrate in the same way as bread or pasta. Plus, most full-fat salad dressings don't have a lot of carbohydrate in them anyway.

OTOH, a regular non-diet soda or juice will have a fair # of carbs in it, so you're wise to count that if you're keeping track.

Author: amiablejak Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3573 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 1:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
I count it all. Cream, salad dressing, etc... But I count the grams and work to stay between 25 and 30 grams of carbs per day.

jak

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3574 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 2:07 PM
I count everything... at least, when I'm strictly counting. I've gotten now to where I can estimate pretty well, but I do strictly count every so often just to be sure I'm still in the range that I thought I was. I count veggies minus the fiber, cheese, cream, BBQ sauce (which actually has a LOT of sugar - DH's diabetic grandmother can't touch BBQ sauce). I suppose it depends on your goal, but I stay completely away from pure sugar (except those rare circumstances where you truly can't avoid it, like the amount used in curing bacon). Everything else, I count the carbs.

Author: cyberisme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3576 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 2:43 PM
Recommendations: 2
Oh my....

Salad dressing can have anywhere from 1-15 carbs PER TABLESPOON - thats a lot of carbs!!! It should be counted or at the very least accounted for.

Crutons are pretty much a no no and have a high carb count.

Re: your pepsi - is that a diet or regular? Regular is fairly high in carbs - BBQ sauce has 6-30 carbs PER TABLESPOON and when cooking meat, it'll soak up 2 tablespoons easily.

I do not count veggies though as I consider those "good" carbs - lol!

I have no clue how you are counting your carbs - no where on earth can you find pasta with only 2 carbs - unless you eat one noodle.

C.

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3578 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 3:09 PM
I have no clue how you are counting your carbs - no where on earth can you find pasta with only 2 carbs - unless you eat one noodle.

I didn't explain very well, 2 servings of carbs, not 2 grams! So, I'll have a cup of pasta. One pepsi equals one carb (although it's probably higher than that, and should be counted as 1.5 or even 2) and the dressing I count as one, as it was a light ranch.

I do not count veggies though as I consider those "good" carbs - lol!

yeah, I have seen them as "freebies" in too many diets to think that they are really that bad. Plus, I'm still losing weight not counting them, so it must be working.

impolite

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3580 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 3:24 PM

I believe she's not counting carbs in the sense that most of us think of them. She's not really following any low carb plan, just kind of cutting back on carbs here and there (if I understand correctly). I think I remember seeing that she allows herself 4 servings of "junk carbs" a day (regardless of the number of carbs). That would include the pasta, sugary soda, etc. I would say that compared to most of us she's not really doing a low carb plan, but she's just more aware of them and reducing them somewhat.

Impolite - hope that is roughly accurate.

Nikki

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3581 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 3:33 PM
That would include the pasta, sugary soda, etc. I would say that compared to most of us she's not really doing a low carb plan, but she's just more aware of them and reducing them somewhat.

Impolite - hope that is roughly accurate.

Yes and no. I allow myself four servings of carbs a day, junk or not. So, if I eat half a bagel with peanut butter in the morning, I've already had one carb for the day. I count half a cup of pasta as a carb, one pepsi as a carb, one whole-wheat tortilla as a carb, half a baked potato as a carb, etc. Veggies are freebies, as is protein.

It's my own little version of low-carb: I'm lower than the recommended allowance (My daily intake is around 100 grams or less if I eat only "white" carbs that day, which is the maintenance mode of Atkins IIRC), but not too low. I tried cutting to 3 carbs a day, but even after two weeks of it I was low on energy, so I upped it back to four. I was thinking of cutting it to 3 for the rest of the week, to jump start my weight loss again, since I've been plateauing at every pound for a while now.

So, I eat more carbs than every one else here, but less than what most people on a "regular" diet do. I think the low-carb diets allow people to modify to specific needs, so that they can lose/maintain their weight on an individualized basis.

impolite
she of the "make your own diet" persuasion

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3583 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 4:11 PM
Yes and no. I allow myself four servings of carbs a day, junk or not.

heheh sorry I just re-read your original post, I think you called them "icky carbs" instead. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, sorry about that.

It's my own little version of low-carb: I'm lower than the recommended allowance (My daily intake is around 100 grams or less if I eat only "white" carbs that day, which is the maintenance mode of Atkins IIRC), but not too low. I tried cutting to 3 carbs a day, but even after two weeks of it I was low on energy, so I upped it back to four. I was thinking of cutting it to 3 for the rest of the week, to jump start my weight loss again, since I've been plateauing at every pound for a while now.

Atkins totally varies by person - some are lucky enough to get to 100 grams on maintenance, some never get that high before they start gaining again. It all depends on how your body reacts. I think the only thing that all the plans really cut 100% is sugar, and about 99% white flour.

So, I eat more carbs than every one else here, but less than what most people on a "regular" diet do. I think the low-carb diets allow people to modify to specific needs, so that they can lose/maintain their weight on an individualized basis.

Definitely. I would be gaining if I were following your plan, for sure.. .I'm jealous!! hehehe but happy for you that it's working!

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3587 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 4:42 PM
I think the low-carb diets allow people to modify to specific needs, so that they can lose/maintain their weight on an individualized basis.

impolite
she of the "make your own diet" persuasion

Isn't that the truth!

Honestly, I don't count carbs anymore. I've been doing this for about 2 years now, and I know what is OK for me to eat, and what raises a flag and needs to be looked at more closely. My scale tells me if I'm doing what I need to, as does the waistline of my shorts. Fortunately, I get to wear shorts year round so that waistline is a pretty good guage.

I have too controling and competitive a personality to count things while dieting. When I did low cal, I tried to get as close to zero as possible, same with low fat. Disasterous. Low carb and not counting really works for me.

Inparadise,
hoping you've found what works for you.

Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3588 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/9/2002 4:42 PM
Atkins totally varies by person - some are lucky enough to get to 100 grams on maintenance, some never get that high before they start gaining again. It all depends on how your body reacts. I think the only thing that all the plans really cut 100% is sugar, and about 99% white flour.

-----------------------------------

I happened to see Suzanne Somers on the Home Shopping Network yesterday and her Somercize program sounds very appealing. I know she's been doing this for quite a long time (I think over 10 years) and she looks fabulous (she's a grandmother!) and she loves food and loves to cook. She was talking about how she has eliminated ALL refined sugar from her diet. This seems to be key.

Wonder if anyone here has tried her plan? It allows certain "bad" carbs of the wheat family, but they have to be WHOLE and they cannot contain ANY SUGAR.

Andrea
no I didn't buy anything but I wanted to ;-)

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3608 of 30647
Subject: Re: Do you count... Date: 12/10/2002 11:06 AM
Wonder if anyone here has tried her plan? It allows certain "bad" carbs of the wheat family, but they have to be WHOLE and they cannot contain ANY SUGAR.

I know my dad and stepmom have followed her program. Both have had good results in terms of weight loss, although my stepmom's results were much better. I think mostly because she actually FOLLOWED the plan (Dad followed it "except for dessert" almost every day..hehe). The only thing I noticed is that my dad suffers from pretty serious depression, and I've always thought Atkins or another strictly low carb plan would really help him with his highs and lows throughout the day. The Sommersize program did decrease his afternoon lulls somewhat, but he still has the ups and downs. Then again, if he actually followed the plan strictly, that might not happen.

I do remember seeing somewhere that there's not much scientific evidence that the food combining thing works... but on the other hand, all sorts of things seem to work (or not work) that haven't been studied very much.

On a slightly different note, she also has a product called "Sommersweet" that's an artificial sweetener - I had a bite of pumpkin pie made with it a month or so ago and it's really good!

Nikki

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement