Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21940  
Subject: Re: This is my first post here... Date: 10/27/2003 4:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Do you have any suggestions after hearing all this?

Sounds like you have at least a reasonable idea. I can see digital working for weddings, especially the type you describe where the wedding party leaves town afterwards. The quick turnaround could be handy, not to mention the web posting.
And while some photographers will tell you that the big money is in the large prints (which is partially true), I never had a request in my wedding photographer days for anything over 11x14, so good digital should handle it. (I didn't get anything over 8x10 from mine)

Not sure about the "2 per week"; that's pretty ambitious. Remember that weddings are seasonal, although a resort destination may be less so. Also, are you doing a pre-wedding planning session with your clients? This can be a good thing, so that you know what they are expecting and shoot accordingly. That can take time; when you add in the handling of the (hopefully) large orders of reprints, you may find yourself pretty busy! Two per week is not a bad goal, but don't bank on it (I have the feeling you're not, but gotta say it anyway).

And yes, you need at least two of everything. If you are shooting with off camera flash, at least three sync cords; these things have a habit of dying quickly and suddenly.

You also mentioned craft fairs; keep in mind that the prime time for these (spring through fall weekends) is also prime time for weddings. It may be hard to juggle both.

Actually, scratch everything I said. I'll do anything in the beginning.

Your biggest thing in the beginning is getting your name out and building the business. Stay flexible, but figure out what you want to do and persue that. And realize that it's a tough field; unless you are really good or really lucky, you won't get rich doing it. In fact, don't be surprised if your first year or so runs in the red.

But you do sound as if you know a good bit about what you want to do. Best of luck in it.

David
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement