UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4957  
Subject: Re: Buying first rental property Date: 11/16/2012 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Do you have what it takes to be a landlord? I know a few. Get to know one, take them to dinner, talk about the worst in tenants. Here's a quiz:

1. Tenant is a mother, with kids, hasn't paid rent in 2 months, it's just shy of Christmas - could you evict her and sleep well at night?

2. Tenants are family, dad is out of work - can you evict them?

3. Tenant's neighbors have complained of strange men coming and going all times of day and night - you suspect prostitution or drugs. What do you do?

4. Tenants do $4K in damages above their deposit and it'll take a month of solid work to put it back into shape - if you hire it done. Four months doing it yourself. What do you do? We're talking head-sized holes in the walls, broken doors, filth everywhere an inch thick, broken windows, chewed-up windowsills, dog and cat pizz on the floors

5. Prospective tenants - nice old man and wife - say landlord is selling. They don't seem to have his name, though, my goodness. Their house is spotless. Take a chance, or no?

ANSWERS (not all MY situations, but all real-life situations)

1. Yes. If you hesitated at all, don't do this.

2. Yes. As a matter of fact, you went out to dinner last night and saw said father with a woman not his wife, and he paid you $300 of the back-rent to be quiet about it. (this really happened). Take the money. Evict anyway as he owes $2K.

3. You call tenant, tell her you know what's going on, tell her she vacates the property in 3 days or you'll call the cops. Apartment is empty 3 days later. No forwarding address. Re-rent.

4. Hire it done and go back to work. Not.worth.it.

5. I used tax records to find the owner. Tenants were being EVICTED. Ran credit check - worst thing I've ever seen, evictions, judgements, liens, bankrupcy - guy had an actual credit score of 406 in a 300-800 range. They looked and sounded like fresh-baked-cookies churchgoing ma and pa. They were every landlords' worst nightmare. Better a biker who pays his rent than a schoolmarm who does't...

You need a plumber, an electrician, and a well-rounded handyman you trust and can call at the drop of a hat. Ability to run credit and background checks. Info on how to evict. Those credit checks saved my backside more than once...

SG "my 2 cents..."
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement