UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jennycats Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308368  
Subject: Re: The worst day of my life Date: 9/25/2000 2:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Do you know how awful it is to kill a friend in part because he's expensive and inconvenient? I'm not going to get over that. I feel like I'm a hideously evil person....
.....When you're in agony, the law in most states doesn't give your family or friends the option of putting you to sleep. You get to suffer.

Dzerkl,

My across-the-hall neighbor, Hank, is a cancer survivor in his early 60's. He has a number of health problems, and is very aggressive about going after them--I think he takes about 30 pills a day, and one injection. He also adores cats.

About a year ago, Hank's cat Duke was diagnosed with cancer. It was treatable, and Hank could afford it, but still he had Duke put to sleep instead. This was his only companion for the past 14 years, and there was a deep, deep love between them. Hank still talks about Duke and how much he misses him.

I was surprised that Hank didn't try to treat Duke's cancer, but he told me that knowing what chemotherapy feels like, there's no way he could put his cat through that. He said that sometimes his suffering with cancer was so great that he would have preferred to simply die. He couldn't imagine making Duke undergo scary, painful medical procedures without having the intelligence or perspective that we would have as humans.

Obviously, I'm writing all this in hopes that it helps you somehow. I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope your other fuzzy guys help to comfort you.

And I hope this next comment isn't unwelcome. It is well-meant:
I believe our love for pets is something that is very dear to God because it comes out of a tender, childlike part of us. I hope you don't feel ashamed to bring your sorrow before God, whatever that looks like for you.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement