Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1389  
Subject: Re: Vladimir Arnold Date: 3/19/2012 11:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Do you know Terrence Tao? He's a mathematician at UCLA.... A guy with a true genius IQ and was an astounding child math prodigy.

I have never met Terry, but I read his blog and hear stories about him. In a field in which you can't walk across the room without bumping into a prodigy, he definitely stands out. We all hope the best for him.

When it comes to mathematicians, I think it helps to ignore how young they were when they did X or Y amazing feat. Among top-ranked mathematicians, essentially all were prodigies. One of the very few exceptions that I can think of was Solomon Lefschetz. He was a locomotive engineer with an established career in 1906, when a terrible laboratory accident (a transformer explosion) caused the loss of both of his forearms. After a period of depression he switched into math... and neither he nor mathematics were ever the same again. As he said, "It was my lot to plant the harpoon of algebraic topology into the body of the whale of algebraic geometry." He is best known for his fixed-point theorem for compact orientable manifolds.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefschetz_fixed_point_theorem

When I was a young math major in the 1960s, Lefschetz was the grand old man of nonlinear dynamical systems, and I thought he walked on water.

Loren
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement